Healy ready to take first steps into coaching career

Seton Hall senior guard Kaity Healy was recently selected to the “So You Want To Be A Coach” program.

The program, in its 17th year, is run by the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association. The WBCA works in partnership with WeCOACH to choose student-athletes to participate in the program based on academics as well as contributions to women’s basketball both on and off the court.

“I was ecstatic. This is the first step of actually starting my future in coaching hopefully,” Healy said.

healy-1024x576

Healy, whose mom, Jeanene, has coaching experience has always expressed an interest in coaching after her playing days are over.

“My mom always told me since I was younger that I was going to be a coach one day. She was like, ‘It’s what you’re meant to do,’” Healy said. “I was like ‘I don’t know, maybe I’ll go into accounting,’ but since I’ve been [at Seton Hall] it just made it more evident this is what I’m here for. She was so excited.”

Class members were also selected on a written recommendation from their head coach. Anthony Bozzella has long spoke of his confidence in Healy’s ability to one day become a coach.

“Kaity is one of the best leaders I have ever coached, and I have no doubt that her passion for the game, her compassion and her intelligence will lead to her becoming a fantastic coach,” Bozzella said.

“Coach Bozzella introduced me to the program a few months ago and said it was a great opportunity,” Healy said. “He definitely has been very influential for me but just his passion for the game and how he influences so many lives is something that I want to do.”

A three-year captain, Healy will draw upon her experience as a captain when venturing into her coaching career.

“It’s definitely put me to have more of a coach’s mindset than a player’s mindset especially when it comes to playing time, calling plays out and handling locker room situations,” Healy said. “It makes me see coach Bozzella’s side and say, ‘OK, this is why they’re doing this’ or ‘This is why they’re doing that’ because I have that coach’s mindset. I know it’s not anything personal. It’s not anything other than winning basketball games.”

Each member of the program will participate in the three-day workshop at the WBCA Convention in Tampa Bay, Florida on April 3 to 5. In addition to the program, class members will hear from speakers provided by WeCOACH.

“I just want to make sure this is the path I want to be on and learn as much as I can while meeting different people and seeing what else is out there other than the Big East,” Healy said.

In addition to the selection, Healy is perhaps having her best year on the court to date. Healy has already surpassed her career scoring total from her prior two seasons in 2018-19 alone. The New Jersey native is also currently second on the team in three-point field goal percentage and has a 37.67 minutes to turnover ratio, among the tops in the Big East.

Nick Santoriello can be reached at nicholas.santoriello@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @NickSantoriello.