Matson’s diversity brings power to Seton Hall social media

Social media is a platform that has a limitless reach. It can spread messages and promote certain aspects of life quickly and accurately. Seton Hall tennis player Michal Matson understands that the power of social media is just as powerful as an ace is in a pivotal set. In her new role with Seton Hall Athletics, Matson uses social media to discuss various topics within the community, including issues such as gender, race and violence. Matson has been with the H.A.L.L. Program, working on projects such as “NCAA Inclusion Week.” She is now beginning to understand how to relate athletics to the current issues that society faces. “Inclusion and diversity has to be one of the most important things now, especially in this day and age,” Matson said. “Everyone needs to be a little bit more loving, a little bit more positive and inclusive.” The main reason Matson wanted to be a part of the program was because of her background. She is the embodiment of diversity, as Matson’s father is black and her mother is white. [caption id="attachment_24711" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Photo via SHU Athletics[/caption] “Diversity was already a really big thing for me and getting involved in that was really cool,” Matson said. “Spreading that sort of positivity, I just really want Seton Hall Athletics to be something that South Orange can rely on, whether its community or supporting kids in groups.” The emphasis placed upon diversity and community has been noticed by all athletes at Seton Hall. There has been participation from several members of the department and this has allowed for more concepts to be created. “(The athletes) said they really like it so far,” Matson said. “They are proud of what’s come out so far, which is really good. I’ve had a lot of help from the media team here. I have pretty much sat down with these guys, exchanged ideas, and kind of put it to life, and then I put it all together.” Matson had nothing but good things to say about the department in her time working there. “They are the brains behind it but everybody in Seton Hall Athletics has been involved in it in some way, so it’s been really good to get everyone involved together as well,” Matson said. “Most of the feedback has been they are proud of what they’ve seen, and they are liking that the social media account is more than just sport.” Matson’s next project is called “This Is On Us,” which is a program dedicated to preventing sexual violence and displaying Seton Hall’s zero tolerance policy. Even through simply brainstorming ideas such as this one, Matson has grasped the experience with an open mind. She has always wanted to be involved in sports and with the position she holds now, it can create a difference on how her future plays out. “I really love to be in the financial standpoint of a sports team. That’s just me, I love sport,” Matson said. “But honestly, if I can go down the path I’ve done for past two or three weeks, I would have the time of my life. I guess it is whoever the world takes me is where I will end up, but I would love to do something like that. Social media is just such an amazing tool. You can spread any message you like, and I rather than be something positive and something inspirational to everyone.” Robert Fallo can be reached at robert.fallo@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @robert_fallo.