E-cigarettes and vaping are still dangerous

E-cigarettes and vaping have become popular among teens and college students. Some think that using an e-cigarette is healthier than smoking a regular cigarette. Regardless, using e-cigarettes and vaping still isn’t healthy. [caption id="attachment_23693" align="aligncenter" width="508"] Photo obtained from google.com.[/caption] Recently, Food and Drug Administration Commissioner Scott Gottlieb said that youth vaping is an “epidemic,” according to a September USA Today article. Since then, many have questioned the effect that e-cigarettes have on people. E-cigarettes are called a variety of names. Some call them “e-cigs,” “vape pens,” or “vapes,” according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Most e-cigarettes have nicotine in them, according to a July 2018 article on Pennsylvania State University’s website. The article also stated that some e-cigarettes that say they are nicotine-free actually still contain the substance. The CDC’s website says, “Nicotine is highly addictive and can harm adolescent brain development, which continues into the early to mid-20s.” As college students in this age range, it’s especially important to remember the effects that using e-cigarettes can have on our health. The Penn State study also said that the vapor that is exhaled by e-cigarette users has carcinogens in it, which is a risk to those nearby. Merriam-Webster defines carcinogen as “a substance or agent causing cancer.” E-cigarettes also have adverse side effects, such as lung disease, an increased heart rate and blood pressure, the Penn State study said. Other side effects they reported are chronic bronchitis, in addition to insulin resistance leading to Type 2 diabetes. We aren’t telling you that you shouldn’t use e-cigs or vape, but we do encourage you to do your own research about the health risks of vaping. Stay informed and know the risks before using e-cigarettes. The Voice is intended to best represent the collective opinion of The Editorial Board. It is written by The Setonian’s Editor-in-Chief and Managing Editor.