SAB gives students spotlight at Open Mic Night

The Student Activities Board (SAB) hosted its first Coffeehouse event of the year on Sept. 5 in the Pirate’s Cove.

The “Open Mic Night” event gave students the opportunity to come up on stage and perform in front of their peers.   

“We’ve been doing them for as long as I can remember,” said Coffeehouse Co-Chairman Allison Kroeger, a junior economics and finance major.

Sarah Yenesel/ Photography Editor Scroll

“We like to give students the opportunity to get their voice out there,” Kroeger said. “It’s a good way to get students to open up and express themselves the way they should on a college campus.”

Students who performed throughout the evening took the spotlight by performing a variety of acts, from singing covers from their favorite albums to reciting their own poetry.

For Melinda Primorac, a freshman theater and political science major, it was a lot more than just a performance. She said she had the event in her calendar from the moment she heard about it.

“Music has always been a big factor in my life,” Primorac said. “I got into the singing thing when I was around 11 or 12.”

Primorac performed “Defying Gravity” from the musical, “Wicked,” and helped her friend with a song he performed. She said she enjoyed watching all of her fellow peers perform.

Outside of performing, Primorac said she is also “very big” on doing activities that are necessary for one’s personal benefit and mental health. She said that singing is her “go-to” way for expression and stress relief.

“It’s something I’m very passionate about,” Primorac said. “Singing and performing is something that really helps me get my emotions out. It’s gotten me through a lot.”

Primorac shared some advice for anyone who is reluctant to step into the spotlight and express themselves.

“Everyone here is so supportive,” she said. “There will always be an applause and cheering after each performer. It sounds cheesy, but just do it.”

Nick Stefanelli, a sophomore accounting and finance major, said he decided to attend the event after seeing signs posted about the event and that he enjoyed seeing fellow students get up on stage and perform.

“It was like a show,” Stefanelli said. “It’s like America’s Got Talent, but without the judges.”

Stefanelli added that he would definitely attend again without hesitation. He said, “It’s a great environment to hang out with friends and enjoy a mixture of music and other performances.”

Ronald Castaneda can be reached at ronald.castaneda@student.shu.edu.