Delta Upsilon to colonize in Spring 2018

Seton Hall University Greek life continues to grow with the recent invitation submitted to the Delta Upsilon fraternity to colonize on campus in the spring of 2018. Delta Upsilon will be the fifth organization in three years to join SHU’s Greek community, following the colonization of the Alpha Omicron Pi sorority in the fall of 2014, the Pi Kappa Phi fraternity in the fall of 2015, the Zeta Tau Alpha sorority in the fall of 2016 and the Phi Delta Theta fraternity in the spring of 2017. [caption id="attachment_20333" align="aligncenter" width="200"] Delta Upsilon will colonize on Seton Hall’s campus in 2018.
Photo via deltau.org.[/caption] The spring 2018 colonization slot that was offered to Delta Upsilon was previously slated for the Beta Theta Pi fraternity. SHU delayed the expansion of Beta Theta Pi after the death of Penn State’s Timothy Piazza, who fell down a flight of stairs while intoxicated at a Beta Theta Pi initiation event, as previously reported in The Setonian. Though the colonization slot was initially offered to Beta Theta Pi, Michael Davis, the assistant director of Leadership Development and Greek Liaison, said that Delta Upsilon is not a replacement. “Delta Upsilon was chosen off of their own merit,” Davis wrote in an email. “They are an incredible organization that we are lucky to have created a partnership with. While they aren’t replacing Beta Theta Pi, they are expanding in spring 2018 – a timeline prior slated to Beta.” According to Davis, Delta Upsilon was a top choice amongst five fraternities that the Interfraternity Council (IFC) reached out to over the summer. Delta Upsilon, a non-secret fraternity with public ritual, is committed to “building better men.” The fraternity is non-hazing, takes part in the Global Service Initiative, which raises funds and volunteers for local and international communities in need, and provides a number of educational workshops to the brothers. On Oct. 19, Delta Upsilon representatives presented to a room of about 25 students to share the fraternity’s values and to address any questions or concerns students may have. At the presentation, Justin Kirk, the executive director of Delta Upsilon, said that one of Seton Hall Greek life’s issues seemed to be with alcohol consumption. He said that Delta Upsilon teaches a specific program that teaches its members how to safely have fun. “It’s not enough to have policies; our organizations must also educate why we have policies, their purpose, and the importance of creating a healthy and safe fraternal experience,” Kirk wrote in an email. “As part of our education, we need to demonstrate what a healthy and safe social environment looks like and walk the men though the experience.” Kirk also said that Delta Upsilon invests “significantly in educational programming, chapter support and have high standards and accountability.” Anthony Marra, the president of the IFC and a senior criminal justice major, said that the IFC was most interested in asking the Delta Upsilon representatives what could be done to make colonization an easier feat. “Delta Upsilon is going to be a great fit for our campus by giving our current and future student body another choice in joining our very diverse collection of fraternity life,” Marra wrote in an email. “Delta Upsilon is a very unique fraternity that has much to offer Seton Hall University’s Greek system by bringing proven service programs to an already deeply service rooted school.” Ashley Turner can be reached at ashley.turner1@student.shu.edu.