Facebook group helps students connect on campus

Social media has become one of the most prominent forms of communication for college students. Seton Hall is expanding its social media presence to help students, faculty and alumni connect with each other and with the University. To help acquaint new students, the admissions department creates a Facebook group for each class to create discussions about events and even find a roommate or a friend on campus. Dr. Tracy Gottlieb, vice president of Student Services, said that the Facebook group helps students get to know each other. [caption id="attachment_19598" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Freshmen and transfer students are welcome to join a university sponsored Facebook group as soon as they are accepted to SHU.
Screengrab via Facebook[/caption] “Students join to become familiar with the University and to be able to communicate with one another,” Gottlieb said. Jennifer Lynne, a freshman accounting major, said that while the Facebook group helped students get in touch, they quickly took it upon themselves to branch out on other social media sites. “Once the Facebook page was up and running, we all mostly spread to Instagram, GroupMe and Snapchat. We actually, on our own, made an Instagram for our class,” Lynne said. “I think the students like it because it helps them connect with other students who are new at the University,” Gottlieb said. Seton Hall’s online presence has also helped aid students in their transition to a new and unfamiliar campus setting. Timothy Guerrero, a freshman visual and sound media major, believes the Facebook page has been a tremendous help for navigation and event purposes. “The Facebook group really helped with gaining a sense of who’s going to be on campus awaiting classes and what goes on around the Hall,” Guerrero said. Guerrero and Lynne also said that Seton Hall should consider expanding to more social media sites to help students network. “Facebook is a little outdated and a lot of people don’t even have one anymore, so I think expanding onto different platforms would be more beneficial,” Lynne said. Gottlieb said that social media allows administrators, such as herself, to assist students who have an issue. “If students are complaining or unable to solve a problem and vent online, I have been able to quietly intervene,” Gottlieb said. She also shared her concern for possible issues social media can cause. “Social media is bad when students use it to vent and shame instead of trying to problem solve,” Gottlieb said. But she also has an appreciation for social media. “Social media is great when it helps students feel more comfortable and at home in a new situation.” Alyssa Schirm can be reached at alyssa.schirm@student.shu.edu.