LeBourne proves age is just a number

As a business professor at Seton Hall, Anselm LeBourne sets up his students for future success. After a 25-year career on Wall Street, it’s safe to say LeBourne knows what he is talking about. However, his tenure at the stock exchange capital of America is not the most impressive thing on LeBourne’s resume. LeBourne is a runner at the master’s track & field level, which includes runners at the age of 40 or older. He owns 16 world records. It was through the sport of soccer, however, where the 58-year-old discovered his passion for running. [caption id="attachment_18802" align="aligncenter" width="300"] Anselm LeBourne holds 16 world master’s track & field records. Photo via shu.edu.[/caption] “I grew up in Trinidad & Tobago…and I used to play midfield,” LeBourne said. “The midfielder did a lot of running, and one of my friends said to me ‘Anselm, maybe you could be good at running.’” At first, LeBourne was not enthused with the idea of becoming a runner due to his undeniable love for soccer. It wasn’t until he was convinced to run a 5K race, which he ultimately won, that he realized his newfound appreciation for the sport. “When they gave me the trophy, I whispered to the guy and said ‘When do I have to bring the trophy back?’” LeBourne stated, as in his soccer days, all the trophies he won had to be returned to the league for the next season. LeBourne had a difficult road to get to where he is today. His mother came to New York in 1975, and he followed her two years later. LeBourne continued running in high school, however he did not have the money to be able to pay for college. Luckily for him, he was given a scholarship by Seton Hall to become a member of the track & field team. LeBourne attended Seton Hall from 1978-1982. “It was through that track scholarship that put me in a position to work on Wall Street, to come back and be able to teach at Seton Hall,” LeBourne said. LeBourne has taken the same mindset he has while running into the classroom at Seton Hall. He teaches management classes at the University, where he encourages his students that if they work hard, they will be able to reap the benefits. This is the sentiment felt by sophomore Timothy O’Shea, who believes the mindset LeBourne brings to the classroom is one that sets students up for success. “He’ll relate his training to studying, whereas the more you put into it, the more you get out of it,” O’Shea said. LeBourne is also someone who will let his students know when they are putting in a strong effort in the classroom. Much as LeBourne is rewarded with trophies due to his hard work on the track, his students are rewarded with his positive feedback. “He paints a pretty clear picture of what he expects in the class,” O’Shea said. “If he sees you putting in the work, he’ll acknowledge that you’re trying and definitely help you out.” LeBourne doesn’t just run to compete, but he also does it as a way to improve himself and what he does in his everyday life. “Running keeps me motivated to do the things that I need to do and it keeps me focused,” LeBourne said. “I just don’t see myself giving up running because I enjoy it.” This focus and motivation has resulted in a wide array of success for LeBourne. It has given him 16 world records at the master’s level. It has given him a lengthy career on Wall Street. It has given him the opportunity to come back and teach at his Alma Mater. So, what’s next for him? “I’m just gonna keep on running,” LeBourne said. Matt Ambrose is a journalism major from Exeter, N.H. He can be reached at matthew.ambrose1@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @mambrose97.