Seniors gear up for senior week

Seton Hall University seniors will soon be graduating and entering the aging, tiring and gray-hair inducing time called adulthood, but they can always hold on to the memories made during their undergraduate years, especially during senior week. Across the country, universities are preparing for commencement. The events held by SHU are no exception. In one of the highlights, students are able to join President Gabriel A. Esteban for an annual free champagne toast to honor the achievements of the graduating class. Chloe Mullen-Wilson, a senior history major, said she looks forward to the toast as the classic senior moment to share with fellow classmates. “I’m excited for who they pick for commencement speaker,” Mullen-Wilson said. “It was Matt Ullrich last year. The student speaker is someone who actually says something you feel.” In addition, senior week includes a trip to Atlantic City. The university reserves a block of hotel rooms in Harrah’s Hotel in Atlantic City and then students can pay for their own rooms, according to the Seton Hall website. Tyler Stamberger, a senior nursing major, looks forward to the Atlantic City trip because he is able to spend time with classmates in a relaxed environment. As a nursing major, Stamberger is excited to recite the pledge of Florence Nightingale, the founder of modern nursing. As Stamberger looks to begin his career this summer, it marks a pivotal moment from him moving on from Seton Hall. Teak at the Hudson takes Pirates on the water to experience a night of food and memories when they purchase tickets, which are $30 each. Seniors can also participate in the True Blue Senior BBQ in the main lounge on May 13. Maecel Manzano, a senior psychology and criminal justice major, is looking forward to commencement because it is a culmination of memories, friendships and celebrating the future. “It has been such a journey,” Manzano said. “These past four years to grow academically, spiritually, just like everything as a person. It’s been a long journey.” Senior week leads up to the separate commencements held for each college. As seniors look to their future plans, the week allows them to bask in the friendships and ties they have made on campus. Stephanie Gomulka can be reached at stephanie.gomulka@student.shu.edu.