'Fuller House' alienates new audiences

The cast of “Full House’s” reboot, “Fuller House” recently shared that the show had been renewed for a second season on Netflix. While the revival hardly comes as a surprise, critics have been questioning the reason for it. There is one uncontested truth about “Fuller House,” and it is that the show exists solely for its die-hard fans, for truly, the throwback sitcom is neither clever nor innovative. What it is, however, is its cringeworthy corny, silly and heartwarming (at times) moments as well as the packed  innuendos and overwhelmingly nostalgia in each episode. Instead of the new and exciting plot with the same spirit as the original version viewers were expecting, “Fuller House” is a subpar replica of its predecessor. For instance, the show opened with DJ Tanner-Fuller, a widowed mom who raises three boys and her sister Steph reminiscing about the day they moved in together. The scene then immediately turns into a reenactment of a scene in “Full House.” Such scenes evoke a blast of nostalgia, which arguably, is the reason why most of us watched the first season. Nonetheless, the rampant nostalgia weighing so heavily on the plot throughout the season indubitably ruined the experience. “Fuller House” lacks in many things. The lack of character development especially in the children’s is disappointing. If you’re coming in cold, it can be somewhat challenging to appreciate the hilarity of the too overbearing catchphrases –yes! They’re all there – Stephanie’s “how rude!” Uncle Jesse’s “have mercy!” DJ’s “oh Mylanta!” and now DJ’s son Max’s “Holy chalupas!” In addition, the inside jokes which arguably, only those of us who grew up knowing and loving these characters will understand, can be fairly alienating to the new audience. Furthermore, the absence of the Olsen twins in the first season was highly felt and the inside jokes vis-à-vis them, were not that hilarious. Even with its flaws, “Fuller House” is still family friendly enough with its numerous group dances and even more, group hugs. Watching the season progress is like watching a train-wreck, but you can’t help but continue watching. Hopefully the new season of “Fuller House” stops revisiting the past in order to manage a solid transition that is worth watching. Otherwise, it is only a matter of time before even its most devoted fans lose interest and abandon it out of atrocious boredom. Perle Desir can be reached at perle.desir@student.shu.edu.