Bored of Board Games?

Walking through department stores, you are likely to come across the giant wall of board games. Memories begin to flood back of good times had while playing some staple games like Monopoly, Clue or Trouble. Instantly, buying a new board game becomes a good idea to play with friends. However, are people actively playing board games anymore? “I haven't played any board games in a long time,” Mario Cuevas, a junior social work major, said. As classes become more difficult and responsibilities more important, board games and the time required to play them can be looked at as a luxury. “My brothers and I used to play up to my first year of college. It was about four to five of us sitting together playing at night,” Mirjana Kuzmanovski, a junior diplomacy and international relations major,  said. Getting a group of people together to play might become a feat on its own so even if you are a fan of board games, it can be difficult to find people to play with. “I play Catan on my phone sometimes, but it's hard to get a group of people together to play board games as you get older,” Edward Krajewski, a professor of journalism, said. So what is being played instead? “The last game I have played was Cards Against Humanity. It is something that’s like Apples to Apples, but for grown-ups. It can get really funny to really vulgar in two seconds,” Kuzmanovski said. There are also quicker paced games which require less time commitment like Uno and Jenga. “I do play board games, I like to play Dominos, Scrabble and Monopoly with my family and friends,” Daisy Caballero, a junior diplomacy and international relations major , said. “I am under the impression that board games can teach you how to think patiently and strategically. That's one thing you'll not necessarily get from online strategy games, which I happen to be fond of, such as Civilization,” Daniel Esparza, professor of philosophy, said. Board games may not be popular amongst all friend groups at SHU, but they are still played around campus. Shuang L. De Jesus can be reached at shuang.dejesus@student.shu.edu.