It's official: GDS extends hours

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="512"] Courtesy of gourmetdiningllc.com[/caption] The college student struggle to get three meals a day just became an easier task, as Gourmet Dining Services (GDS) has permanently extended its hours of operation. Michael Garcia, director of Business Affairs and liaison to GDS, said in an email that this idea was one of many proposed by the Student Government Association (SGA) in academic year 2015 to meet students’ dining needs. Monday through Friday breakfast is served in the Caf from 7-9:30 a.m., continental breakfast from 9:30-10 a.m., lunch from 11 a.m.- 2:15 p.m., and dinner 4:45-8:15 p.m. On Saturday and Sunday students can go for continental dining from 7-9:30 a.m. and continuous dining from 10:30 a.m.-7:45 p.m. Teagan Sebba, SGA president, said in an email that extending hours is a step toward her ultimate goal of implementing continuous dining. SGA worked closely with the Office of Business Affairs to reach an agreement on the extended hours, Garcia said. Sebba said that former SGA president Tim Hoffman took the initiative to change cafeteria hours after a survey of the student body showed that Caf hours were a top concern for SHU students. “Cafeteria hours were extended on the front end and on the back end, allowing for more accessible breakfasts, longer lunches, and the opportunity to get dinner on campus even after night classes,” Sebba said. Garcia said that discussions with the SGA revealed that there has been a positive student response to the extended hours and services offered. According to Garcia, an average of 205 customers took advantage of the extended hours in January 2016, showing that these hours are a useful addition for SHU students. Garcia said that meal plan costs will equate to an extra 80 cents per day on average next year. For student Morgan Kadash, junior social work major, the extended hours in the cafeteria still are not enough, but there are plenty of students there during the time when she does get the chance to go. Katie Harris, sophomore marketing and economics major, says that she likes the extended hours and that they are “great for people who have late classes.” Leah Milano, freshman social and behavioral sciences and occupational therapy major, says she also takes advantage of the extended hours because she has later classes. Brianna Bernath can be reached at brianna.bernath@student.shu.edu