From the classroom to the lab, ‘learn to challenge yourself and learn in the process'

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="281"] shu.edu[/caption] While walking around campus, it is easy to spot a science major. They usually look exhausted, over-worked and more than likely have a quiz, lab or an exam on any given day with textbooks and notebooks which are overloaded with sticky notes and highlighting. According to the Seton Hall website, the average class size is 21 students and the science faculty conduct internationally recognized research. “You really have to nurture the science students one at a time. The majority of our courses have a lab component,” Dr. Linda Hsu, professor of general biology and histology, said. “We try to design experiments that help students to test live organisms which is different from watching a video about it. They are able to see how experiments are carried out properly.” The science professors are very excited about their own field of expertise and they share their enthusiasm with their students, Hsu added. The laboratory instruction at SHU also gives students firsthand experience. “The most eye-opening experiment would be our Rahway River experiment. We went to two different rivers and collected water samples to compare and see which water was healthier,” Erica Najar, a sophomore environmental studies major, said. “Both water samples had high levels of ammonia and nitrate, making it polluted. Many people do not realize how limited our water supply is and how much we continue to pollute it.” Science professors make sure that their students get the attention they need in the classroom and outside the classroom. “Science needs to be taught one-on-one. Our philosophy is to put our best professors in our entry level courses,” Wyatt Murphy, professor of chemistry and bio chemistry, said. “Although the curriculum is difficult, you do learn to challenge yourself and learn a lot in the process. The labs are equipped with good materials, the professors are willing to set time apart to work with you to help you excel,” Richel Lartey, a sophomore biology pre-med major, said. Margarita Williamson can be reached at margarita.williamson@ student.shu.edu.