DOVE prepares events for the holidays

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="399"] shu.edu[/caption] Halloween has ended and the holiday season has officially started. The chaos that comes with gifts, decorations and spending  time with family is about to ignite  as everyone gets in the holiday season mood. The Division of Volunteer Efforts (DOVE), is also getting ready for the holidays. DOVE will be hosting many holiday themed events aimed at giving back to the community. The first event, the Food and Turkey Drive, began on Nov. 2 and ends on Dec. 18.  The drive’s goal is to collect non-perishables and turkeys to donate to a local food pantry and local soup kitchen. The donation boxes are located throughout campus and if a donation is made at the one located in the DOVE office, the donator will receive a free pirate light pen. In addition, a coat drive is also currently being held until Nov. 19 where coats are accepted at the DOVE office in Boland Hall. The organization is also holding a toy drive that will be held from Nov. 22 until Dec. 13. These events will help give to those that are less fortunate. “We’ll also continue to run our usual weekly and semester volunteer programs, in addition to Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week leading up to Thanksgiving,” Thomas Russomano, assistant director of DOVE, said. Russomano informs that a lot of volunteer programs filled up early in the semester because students tend to be more passionate in their volunteer efforts during the holiday season.  However, for those who are not signed up for one of DOVE’s programs, there are other ways to give back. “Take part in one of [DOVE’s] drives,” Russomano added. DOVE provides an opportunity through many ways to give back to the community during this holiday season. The DOVE office is located on the basement level of Boland Hall and is open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.. on weekdays. Zachary Wohl can be reached at zachary.wohl@student.shu.edu