Classes you may not have known pop up during registration

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="321"] shu.edu[/caption] Every semester we all participate in the Seton Hall Hunger Games. We sit, equipped with our pins and course catalogs, waiting for the clock to strike 12:01 a.m. so we can get that one open spot in that one class we need. By this time, we know which classes we want to take, but there are some courses which you may not know existed. One is called “Black Church” taught by Rev. Dr. Forrest Pritchett. This African American Studies class focuses on the important role that the church and spirituality played in the lives of Black Americans from slavery to the civil rights movement to today. “The Church was the safe haven for many in difficult times,” Pritchett said. To channel inner Michelangelo, take “Sculpture,” which focuses on space, material and process. In the Arts Department, there is also a class called “Traditional American Crafts” in which students learn paper making, quilting, rug hooking and additional crafts by hands on instruction. To channel Detective Olivia Benson, take “Homicide,” taught by criminologist Lonnie Athens. In this class, students learn about the different degrees of murder and how, in some instances, murders are committed but are not considered crimes. Instead of a textbook, Professor Athens uses cases which he has worked on as references. The first part of class focuses on the foundation of homicide law and the second part focuses on specific cases. “I find this interesting so that makes it easy to teach,” Athens said. For baseball fans, “Sabermetrics” is a math course that applies statistics to the game of baseball. To be eligible for the course, students need to have taken or been placed in Developmental Math. “Travel Writing” is a study abroad English class that focuses on early twentieth century British and American travel texts. Students will travel to a place outside the United States and write their own travel texts and accounts. Keep these classes in mind for the spring semester, as well as many other courses which might make the semester bearable. Ryanne Boyer can be reached at ryanne.boyer@student.shu.edu.