Being kind: ways to pay it forward

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="420"] Alex J. Packer's Squarespace[/caption] Taking the initiative to be nice to others does not require extensive measures or excessive time. In fact, a very simple and meaningful way to be kind is to pay it forward. Kindness can be shown through doing something nice for another person, even if that person has not directly done something to benefit you. The practice of paying it forward has been demonstrated in many settings which includes restaurants or drive through windows. In these cases, a customer will pay for his or her purchase as well as covering the purchase of the person behind them. It is expected, but not required that the pattern continues as the next person in line will do the same. Here at Seton Hall, the concept of paying it forward is expressed. Employees at the Dunkin’ Donuts on campus have commented that they have seen this happen, and in fact it happens frequently. “If there’s no money on someone’s card someone else will pay for them. It shows that there’s nice people out there, especially at Seton Hall,” Yanae Minor, an employee at the Cove, said. Kourtney Verdi, a freshman business major, said that she has never actually done it before, but has always wanted to. Verdi adds that she thinks it is cool and nice and wishes that there were additional places which would do more stuff like this. Paying it forward is a small step towards helping people and can be a stepping stone in making a big difference. The act can be applied to people truly in need, like the homeless. “To me, I think it's so important because it gives homeless people, or people that might have to spend their money elsewhere, a chance to get the things that others can,” Verdi said. I think it's just an awesome chance to be able to help out others,” Verdi added. Perhaps the next time on line at Dunkin’ Donuts, consider not only making someone’s day, but making a difference as well. Sarah Auerbach can be reached at sarah.auerbach@student.shu.edu