Pumpkin Spice: The male perspective

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="384"] Courtesy of gannett.cdn.com[/caption] The arrival of October signifies cool weather, scenic foliage and most importantly, the return of pumpkin spice. The autumnal piquancy that pours out of coffee shops seems to have a much larger female following as pumpkin spice is more recently associated with women customers. “I think it is kind of ridiculous to place or project a certain flavor on a particular gender,” Chad Navarro, junior nursing major said. Navarro added that he enjoys the widely popular flavor of pumpkin spice in the form of pastries, cakes and additional desserts, but not necessarily in his beverage. Pumpkin spice has developed into more than just a flavor choice and its followers, corporations promote the flavor in the autumn which has built a PSL movement. “Pumpkin spice had become a buzzword and has been over-hyped due to how the media and advertisements portray it,” Navarro said. Christopher Capone, a junior sports management and finance major said that men and women alike can enjoy the pumpkin spice flavor. “As the leaves change color, so does my desire for pumpkin spice,” Capone said. “I never thought it was anything special, but do I like pumpkin spice. I would say it as an average flavor that is made special because it only out for a limited time.” A frenzy begins in the early fall months which continues rapidly throughout the season as consumers crave a flavor that will soon be not available. John Godoy, junior finance major said there is a much deeper problem with the United States today as promoting such flavors encourages customers to consume many more unnecessary calories. “I have never tried pumpkin spice in coffee, but do like pumpkin spice flavored bread. The point of coffee is to get me going and I drink it for the caffeine pickme-up, not necessarily the taste,” Godoy said. Godoy said being a health conscious guy, he feels wasting extra calories on flavoring in coffee is not worth it and is a problem related to the obesity increase in this country. “A healthy alternative to enjoying the festiveness of pumpkins in the fall is to get exercise while pumpkin picking outside,” Godoy said. Kelly Zarnowski can be reached at kelly.zarnowski@student.shu.edu.