The Current Fashion Blog: Is mesh a mess?

[caption id="attachment_10427" align="aligncenter" width="465"]Getty Images Getty Images[/caption] Oops they did it again…and again. Rhinestone studded, feather flaunting, lace concealing and mesh revealing, it’s haute couture, nose-diving off the Empire State Building peak of all fashion into the musky depths of the Hudson…AKA major industry slip. Rihanna sparked the trend, donning mesh covered in crystals which really covered nothing.  Designer Adam Selman wanted the gown to be scandalous, according to Daily Mail.com. Thus, scandal has become a theme in the fashion world. Before Rihanna, Beyoncé wore a sheer gown with white paisley and flowery coverage at the 2014 Grammy Awards. She may have set the tone, but Rihanna and those who followed redefined the look. Whether they are curvy or petite, blonde or brunette, a majority of celebrities are wearing it. Kim Kardashian, Beyoncé and Jennifer Lopez turned heads on the red carpet at the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Costume Institute Gala.  It appeared what needed to be covered to pass the indecent exposure exam was speckled with some accent of a sparkle, not nearly any textile. On the runway, the mesh rating went from X to R, as Versace provided slightly more coverage. However, heaven forbid if one is to move because the whole dress will shift, things will be exposed, fashion fop au times a million. Even at this year’s Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA) Awards, Kim K. strikes again. Who said keeping up with the Kardashians wasn’t easy? Fashion risks? I like them, I take them, I rock them. However, this isn’t a risk, this is just short of a federal offense as Victoria’s Secret has been time and time again. It might not always be about the garment, but instead about how it is worn. It's like the saying:  wear the dress don’t let it wear you. So what happened to keeping some things a secret so that the mind can run wild with the thought of what is hidden? “Wildin’” indeed these gowns are and perhaps from the wild they came. After all, Rihanna’s gown was just some fishnet and crystals (laboriously crafted and perfectly flaunted), right? Michelle Foti can be reached at michelle.foti@student.shu.edu.