Softball falls to Central Michigan

Twitter: @SHUSoftball

The Pirates California escapade concluded in disappointing fashion as the team lost their second close game in two days to what turned out to be a pesky Central Michigan team by a 7-4 final.

Unlike their 1-0 defensive battle one day earlier, which was only separated by an unfortunate but costly unearned run, the two team’s second meeting on Sunday provided plenty of more fireworks.

Central Michigan’s junior second basemen Chelsea DeLamielleure immediately placed the Pirates in comeback mode as they found themselves down 2-0 early after her deep homer to left field.

The Pirates caught up quickly though, behind fantastic pitching by their starter, junior Danielle DeStaso combined with timely hitting by junior Yasmin Harrell and senior Whitney Jones. With the scored tied now at 2, the Chippewas displayed their peskiness by using a bunt to help catapult them to a 5-2 lead. Again their efforts were matched by the Pirates who added two runs of their own later in that same inning.

Two more runs were scored by the Chippewas in the sixth and seventh inning to increase their lead again to three runs. The Pirates tried valiantly to rally again but their efforts this time were in vain.

A season high-eight strikeouts were not enough as DeStaso received her first loss of the season. On the bright spot, Seton Hall’s offense came to life though with, sophomore Noel Lent, Harrell and Jones all recording multiple hits during the game to help the Pirates reach their biggest scoring output of the tournament.

After a quick start the Pirates now sit at 5-5 on the season. They return to action next weekend, with a three-day tournament at East Carolina University in Greenville, N.C. The Pirates open competition on Friday, Feb. 20, against Lafayette at 10 a.m., and Virginia Tech at 12:30 p.m.