Seton Hall community reacts to proposed medical school

Buzz over the proposed medical school has swept across Seton Hall’s campus following the University’s announcement on Jan. 15 of plans to join with Hackensack University Health Network in creating a private medical school at the former Hoffman-LaRoche campus in Nutley, N.J. Dr. Brian Shulman, dean of the School of Health and Medical Sciences, said in an email that Seton Hall’s medical community has received “written accolades from a number of individuals across the country about our recent announcement.”

“The general reaction has been overwhelmingly ecstatic,” Shulman said.

Shulman, who since 1998 has worked on the proposal for a medical school, told The Setonian that the Provost appointed him as the “point person… in spearheading the medical school project.”

“However, it was only a few years ago when President Esteban, Provost Robinson in discussion with me determined that we should seriously explore the medical school concept,” he said.

While many reactions to the proposal have been positive, some students are sorry that it has come too late for their own plans. Zhane Bell, a senior biology major, said that she intends to apply to medical school in the future, but Seton Hall won’t be ready in time for her to include it in her plans.

“I’m slightly disappointed,” Bell said. “I would’ve wanted (a medical school) when I graduated from Seton Hall, but it’s exciting that they’ll finally have one again.”

The first class of students at the new medical school is not expected to be enrolled before 2017. Shulman added that the University’s future can only be improved by the proposed medical school.

“I truly believe that a Seton Hall School of Medicine will be a significant game changer for the entire University,” Shulman said. “I think the school of medicine will only advance our trajectory as a major Catholic university in the country.”

Bell also said that she thinks the addition of the medical school will create more competition with other universities, such as Rutgers.

“When Rutgers adopted their medical school, it was like ‘Should’ve went to Rutgers,’” she said.

Rutgers University merged with the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey in 2013. Shulman said that the School of Health and Medical Sciences and the School of Nursing will continue their traditional roles.

Dr. Marie Foley, acting dean of Seton Hall’s College of Nursing, told The Setonian that she thought the announcement of the proposed medical school was “very positive.”

“It’s a great opportunity if indeed it happens,” Foley said.

Tiffany Do can be reached at tiffany.do@student.shu.edu.