Time slots too narrow for required classes

Last week began the infamous registration week at Seton Hall University. I’ve learned to take it for what it is.

For me, it’s about a week or so of figuring out what classes interest me, or what I have to take before I graduate next spring. Then I meet with my advisor, get that coveted pin number, make sure I have no holds on my account and map out my week of classes and times. It’s become pretty simple actually. I don’t stress out about registration the way I did when I was a freshman. I’m pretty sure I had registered for all my classes about two minutes after my designated time.

But what stood out to me this semester was a different problem. Here at Seton Hall, I major in journalism and have a minor in legal studies. With my journalism major, I am required to enroll in a total of five journalism/media electives. I’ve completed two of the five requirements. Most of the others I found interested me for next semester— just one time slot. Also, most of my required journalism courses fall on Tuesdays and Thursdays. How many classes does the University want me to have on ‘TR?’

As far as my minor goes—the legal studies minor carries two required courses and nine credits in elective courses. In total, there are 12 elective course options to choose from. Guess how many are offered this spring? Two. Two out of 12. As far as time options— you guessed it, just one time slot for each class.

I’m not really the type to complain about Seton Hall; this school has given me numerous opportunities in my two-plus years here. But when I see 15 different Engaging the World class options with all different times, I begin to wonder if the University is allocating its courses properly. I’m certainly not the only person in this boat either.

Junior public relations major Zach Hrubic also noticed the lack of class times while making his schedule for next semester.

“I really did not have many options, that’s for sure,” Hrubic said. “Luckily I was able to make it work, but there were a couple of classes I could not take because the timing didn’t fit.”

I’m not saying the University is targeting journalism/public relations majors. Seton Hall is not out to get its “J-majors,” but it isn’t making things any easier either. And as my senior year is rapidly approaching, classes are starting to take a backseat. Internships are in the driver’s seat, and with a lack of class options and times, the flexibility to move my schedule around to accommodate an internship schedule is becoming harder.

I went on two interviews for internships last week and during each interview I told the employer my class schedule for the spring. But I also told them my schedule is “flexible” and can “be moved around if need be.” Can it? The more I think about it, I’m not so sure. I could be totally off base here. I could be completely wrong about how Seton Hall schedules its classes and times and its reasons for doing so.

I’m sure economics factor in as far as hiring professors to teach certain courses goes. Who knows? That’s just how I see it.

David Heim is a junior journalism student from Roselle Park, N.J. He can be reached at david.heim@student.shu.edu or on twitter @davidheim12.