Pirates break out the brooms in back-to-back games

Stacey Manthorpe
Shupirates.com

The Seton Hall women’s volleyball team opened strong in Day 1 of the Seton Hall Invitational on Friday.

Senior Stacey Manthorpe led the charge against Cornell in the first of two games, putting up a double-double as well as a team-high 11 kills. Shelbey Manthorpe registered a match-high 27 assists to go along with eight digs and seven kills.

Cornell never led during the first match and failed to narrow the gap to less than two points (25-16). In the second match, the Pirates quickly put an 8-spot on the board and never looked back (25-13). In the third and final match, Seton Hall capped off the sweep with a 25-12 victory.

In the second game of the day, the Pirates broke out the broomsticks again. This time, the victim was Siena.

The Manthorpe sisters were at it again, combining for 36 assists, 19 kills and 15 digs. Shelbey Manthonrpe’s 33 assists were more than Siena had in the entire match (27).

Siena made the Hall sweat a bit more than Cornell. The sets went 25-21, 25-14, 25-18. But, Friday was all about the Pirates setting the tone at their gym, in their tournament.

The team will look to continue rolling against Rutgers and UNLV in the second day of the Seton Hall Invitational on Saturday, September 6.

Thomas Duffy can be reached at thomas.duffy@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @TJDhoops.