Releasing more 'Star Wars' movies could be a good idea

Recently, Disney announced it would be releasing a "Star Wars" film every year starting in 2015. It will first make "Episode VII," then produce a spin-off the next year (possibly about Boba Fett or young Han Solo), then come out with "Episode VIII" a year later and so on. Understandably, the response from "Star Wars" fans has varied.

Many are eagerly counting down the days, greatly anticipating the chance to see their beloved space saga continue.

Others fear that the new mov­ies will tarnish the legacy of the franchise.

Admittedly, I'm not a huge "Star Wars" fan. Though I enjoy the films, I can't adequately discuss their every detail, and I actually don't recall the last time I even saw one.

Still, I'm looking forward to the release of the new movies because I never thought there would be any more.

I always wondered what hap­pened to Luke Skywalker and company following their adven­tures of the original episodes. Re­markably, I'll soon find out.

At the same time, I complete­ly understand why some people would be reluctant to see more entries added to the "Star Wars" series. After all, countless sequels and remakes have been made solely for the profits which sub­sequently ruined the original. And "Star Wars" die-hards are still re­covering from Jar Jar Bink. But there have also been plenty of se­quels which have enhanced their predecessors or even proved supe­rior to them.

There's a good chance that the future "Star Wars" installments will fall into the latter category. J.J. Abrams, who's signed on to di­rect "Episode VII," has already proved his science fiction mettle by helming films like the latest "Star Trek."

Additionally, Mark Hamill, Car­rie Fisher and Har­rison Ford are all in negotiations to reprise their parts from the past episodes. George Lucas will also be involved, albeit in the minor role of creative con­sultant.

So yes, I do think the idea of producing more "Star Wars" mov­ies will turn out nicely.

The real question is, will Cap­tain Kirk be joining Han Solo aboard the Millennium Falcon?

Sean Quinn is a junior journal­ism major from Cranford, NJ. He can be reached at sean.quinn@student.shu.edu.