Will new show, "Girl Meets World," live up to expectations?

If you are a 90's kid, you will appreciate the surprising news that "Boy Meets World" characters Cory and Topanga, played by Ben Savage and Danielle Fishel, will be returning in the new television series "Girl Meets World".

Not many details about the plot of the show have been revealed but many seem to be overjoyed. The new show is expected to fol­low the life of Cory and Topanga's teenage daughter.

This is appropriate since the show left off with the happy cou­ple getting married and continuing their lives together in New York City.

Throughout the past few years we have seen an uprising of re­makes and sequels, whether it is movies, television shows or mu­sic.

I have noticed that many people believe that remakes are never as good as the original. Even though people get excited for sequels and remakes to come out, the remakes always seem to end up disappoint­ing the audience.

One reason this happens is be­cause the new cast isn't as admi­rable as the previous one. Also, there may be a different creator.

Luckily, this new series has the two most admired characters from the original "Boy Meets World" starring in it. The original creator has also agreed to create the new series. This means that the same passion he put into "Boy Meets World" he can put in this new show.

The question now is: Can the new characters come close to be­ing as admired as characters such as Shawn Hunter and Mr. Feeny?

Everyone felt the power and heartwarming effects that Mr. Feeny had on the characters and the audience. These characters should not necessarily be replaced but it will be a tough expectation for the new series to measure up to.

If "Girl Meets World" is just as successful, then I hope that every age group, not just the 90's kids, will appreciate it.

The television shows preteens and teenagers watch today do not have much substance to them. If the creator portrays "Girl Meets World" with the same criteria that "Boy Meets World" exhibited, then this show will have true po­tential.

"Boy Meets World" was a show that we were able to relate to. From that first real crush in high school and fighting with your par­ents to figuring out what you want to do with the rest of your life; I think we all need a relatable tele­vision show to get lost in and re­mind us to never give up.

It was almost as if Cory and To­panga were my classmates and I grew up with them. Although I am a little uneasy about the path of the new show, I think it has great potential if it is done with the right intentions.

Leah Poland is a senior chemis­try major from Monroe, NJ. She can be reached at leah.poland@student.shu.edu.