Student urges classmates to take time and experience life

As time rolls by and I begin my third year here at Seton Hall, I re­alize that it is time to start thinking about what I want my role in the world to be.

Who do I want to be? Who or what do I want to affect? How can I do so?

It is a heavy thought, I must ad­mit, but these are important ques­tion that must be addressed. I be­lieve that we should answers these sooner rather than later.

I am a big proponent of explor­ing and experiencing things for oneself. If you happen to be un­sure about doing something, my advice is to try it anyway. You just never really know how things may turn out in the future, or even now.

This is one of the few times in our lives where failure can be, while not welcome or particularly supported, an option, with fewer consequences.

Putting yourself out there in the world, outside your comfort zone, can be frightening, but it answers a lot more questions than sitting around and wondering "what if?" Take a leap and see what happens because you truly never know.

As students, we are more pre­pared to tackle the "what if?" of life.

Wrestle down some your roam­ing questions and act. Educate yourself. Education is bigger than all of us, and learning is a gift, whether you would like to accept it or not.

We are lucky to be where we are, with the tools that we have, to even have the option of taking advantage of opportunities like we can. So do it. Take advantage of all that life lays before you. Do not be afraid of what is ahead of you. Embrace it with open arms.

Experience, by default means ed­ucating oneself. In time you will learn new skills, ways of thinking, or what have you and you will also learn more about yourself.

By way of satisfying your curi­osity, you are becoming more ad­ept at identifying who you would like to be and why.

I am not saying that not doing ev­erything you can do is hurting you, but it is definitely not helping you.

I am not saying go out and become the next Ghandi either, I mean unless you have the desire to be.

I am just trying to stress that we only have so many years before the real world catches up with us. So while we have time, we need to use it wisely and remember that we need to take time out for our­selves.

Get up and stretch, walk around, notice things, dance, sing, take a day and look at the world from a new perspective. You will no­tice that everything is, and can be, more within your grasp than you realize.

Chelsea is junior communica­tions studies major from Albany, NY. She can be reached at Chel­sea.catlett@student.shu.edu.