Activities fee would improve SAB events

Dear Setonian,

I am writing in response to the past issue's "Voice" column which discussed the proposed activities fee. As a co-chair of the Student Activities Board's Travel and Recreation committee it disheartens me to read what you wrote.

I believe that the students of this campus were misinformed about this issue. I attended the Student Government Association meeting at which Dean Van Norman presented the proposal to the SGA Senate. Dean Van Norman had an extensive PowerPoint that included not only the many benefits of this policy, but also all of the research that she and her colleagues in Community Development compiled.

I would like to point out that this idea was neither spontaneous nor totally radical as it has been discussed by various administrators and select student leaders for a few months now. As an individual that is highly involved with planning events on campus I truly believe this fee could completely change students' attitudes on this campus.

"The Voice" states that it believes bigger budgets will just lead to more small-scale programs put on by SAB and SGA clubs. As someone with direct experience in planning these events and trips, I think it is highly unfair for people who do not have that experience to criticize us. SAB puts on well over 180 events per year with a budget that is miniscule in comparison with other schools' activity planning boards or committees. SGA funds a myriad of clubs who appeal to a number of students on campus.

The time and effort that goes into planning Winter Ball or the Eastern State Penitentiary trip are not an easy burden. SAB co-chairs devote hours a week into putting on events almost every day for students to attend and, as someone who attends almost all the events, I would strongly disagree with anyone calling these programs unsuccessful.

This fee would allow us to plan activities that haven't been on this campus in years, such as up to two concerts a year. The many trips that SAB hosts can now go to farther and more interesting locations. Instead of taking 49 students, we can take 80.

With a bigger budget we could improve events both large and small and improve them tremendously. I hope that students will realize the true benefits of this proposal and embrace it to make our entire Seton Hall community a more enjoyable place to be.

Richard Harzula

Student Activities Board Travel and Recreation Co-chair

The Setonian welcomes letters to the editor. All submissions must include the authors first and last name and a phone number where the author can be reached. Submissions should be no more than 400 words. The Setonian reserves the right to edit submissions for style. Deadline for submission is noon on the Tuesday preceding publication.

Letters can be e-mailed to Brenden Higashi, Community & Opinion Editor, at thesetonianopinion@gmail.com.