Rockin' out for a cause

"Rock the Cancer Out," a free concert on the Green on Saturday between 2 to 5 p.m., gives students a chance to hear music from Seton Hall students' bands, rock a cool T-shirt and support awareness of cancer while raising money for the American Cancer Society.

Headed by the Italian Student Union (ISU) president Jason Scotto D'Aniello, "Rock the Cancer Out" began when he felt driven to help out a good cause while making students excited about an on campus event and he hopes to make it an annual event.

"I had jokingly asked the bass player from the band Minor Lift if his band would be interested in playing at Seton Hall," D'Aniello said.

"When he said ‘yes,' I pitched the idea to ISU and everything went from there."

ISU Vice President Alyda Stabile said she believes that "cancer effects everyone in some type of way," therefore, raising money for it is something that everyone can get involved in.

"Cancer is one of those things that everyone can be affected by," she said. "We want to show that no matter how big or small you are you can make a difference."

With the co-sponsorship of other organizations such as the Seton Hall Filipino League, WSOU, the Bio Society, Zeta Beta Tau and the Student Activities Board, the concert has been able to flourish and turn into something big.

"Once Jason told me about the idea, I wanted to get involved," President of FLASH Matt Pana said. "I realized it was for a good cause and is something that can be good for the University."

The large number of organizations involved also has helped with publicity and money as a whole.

"SAB has been our most helpful sponsor," D'Aniello said. "Without them setting up the stage, providing security, speakers and a lot of other things, this may not have happened. All the sponsors have really been a big help."

The members of each organization having their hands in other organizations on campus has also helped in the promotion of the concert, according to Joseph Pastino, the historian for ISU.

The t-shirts, which display a funky rock and cancer logo on the front, have been being sold in the cafeteria for $10 and will continue to be sold during the concert. All the profits made from the shirts will go directly to the American Cancer Society.

"People may not want to buy the shirts at first, but getting them on the Green and involved with the concert might change their minds," Justin Lonpado, the athletic director for ISU, said.

In addition to buying the t-shirt, students are able to hear local bands free of charge, including The Minor Lift, who are set to perform at Bamboozle, a music concert and festival this year.

"We want to make this concert sort of a mini-Bamboozle that bands want to perform at year to year. We want this to get larger and larger and become something really big at Seton Hall," Stabile said.

But beyond making the concert a social event for students, each organization is passionate about raising awareness and money toward finding a cure for cancer.

"Cancer is something that affects so many people and raising awareness to that is one of the greatest things this concert can do," Joseph Testa, head of public relations for ISU, said.

Kelsey Lazaro, member of ISU, said, "All of us can't be doctors working toward the next cure for cancer. But what we all can do is help in whatever way we can, no matter who we are and how many of us it is."

Kristen Hardy can be reached at kristen.hardy@student.shu.edu.