Shuttle service at risk

The shuttle service to Newark Airport that ran during the Thanksgiving and winter breaks for Seton Hall students may end due to a lack of student participation.

"I was told by HRL that there was not a sufficient enough ridership for the shuttle service for Thanksgiving and Christmas break for the service to be cost effective," Callender said.

While there are several ways to travel from Seton Hall to the airport, the shuttle service, which began in November 2009, is a secure way for students to travel to and from the airport, for the bargain price of $10.

Renee Callender, at-large senator with the Student Government Association on campus, has made it her mission to work to ensure that the interests and needs of Seton Hall students are met, which includes the availability of a shuttle for out of state students.

Callender has teamed up with Housing and Residence Life to help inform students and help set up the shuttle's service.

In order to save the service, Callender said HRL needs at least eight people who will definitely use the service at the times offered.

Junior Matthew DiCarlo, whose home is near Los Angeles, said the demand for a shuttle service should certainly be there, since it is a perfect means of transportation for students.

"When I was a freshman I went home often for holiday breaks and was frustrated to see that there was no type of shuttle system available," DiCarlo said. "I know I would have definitely used it back when I had no other way to get to the airport."

Junior Margaret Dougherty, whose home is near St. Louis, has experienced the costly alternatives to a $10 shuttle when attempting to get to Newark Airport.

"Freshman year I took a taxi on most occasions, which would cost about $50 each time," Dougherty said. "Before the shuttle service existed, I used to create a Facebook message with all the out-of- state students I knew, as a forum to share taxis so prices would not be so high."

Callender said the lack of participation in the shuttle service could be a result of poorly publicizing the services running times.

Many students were unaware of the dates and times of the service because they were not publicized early enough for them to plan their flights around, Callender said.

She stressed timing may be an issue to look into in the attempt to ensure the shuttle's success.

"Seton Hall recruits people from outside of the tri-state area, and we need to create more accommodations, like this service, to make the process of living far away from home easier on students that choose to attend this university," Callender said.

Dougherty said if the university did not provide a shuttle service, it could discourage students from attending Seton Hall, since many students need to travel by plane to get home.

Dougherty also said the shuttle service is one of the most impressive products of the SGA.

"I was very excited for this airport shuttle and really encourage students to continue using this valuable resource," Dougherty said.

Samantha Desmond can be reached at samantha.desmond@student.shu.edu.