Cupid's arrow misses in star-studded rom-com

"Valentine's Day," as implied, takes on the look of humorizing one of the most contentiously debated holiday of all time.

The film is based around intertwining couples in Los Angeles who break up and makeup based on the pressure of Valentine's Day. The film is reminiscent of "Love, Actually" and last year's "He's Just Not That Into You" yet, it does not live up to the hype of those films.

"Valentine's Day" features a star-studded cast including Ashton Kutcher, Jessica Alba, Anne Hathaway, Topher Grace, Jennifer Gardner, Eric Dane, Bradley Cooper, Julia Roberts, Jessica Biel, Jamie Foxx and Patrick Dempsey among others. Taylor Swift makes her acting debut alongside "New Moon" hottie Taylor Lautner, playing a love-struck high school couple who thankfully provide some good laughs.

"Valentine's Day" covers all areas - best friends turned lovers, one night stands, the ending of an engagement, high school puppy love, two-timing cheaters, first dates and of course the bitter and single individuals who loathe the holiday altogether and even "celebrate" by smashing into an "I Hate Valentine's Day" piñata. Even more, interracial lovers, a gay couple and the relationship between a mother and son are featured, which makes the film well-rounded when it comes to love and relationships.

However, since there are so many various scenarios and characters, it didn't leave much opportunity for the characters and each relationship to fully develop. Viewers are left yearning for more from each couple, and honestly, more romance. The film highlighted the different ways to celebrate the holiday between various types of people, but not the intricacies and romance behind the relationships.

The film does have some surprises – enough to make the audience gasp when an unlikely relationship between two people in the film is revealed. Furthermore, the most emotional scene, and possibly the highlight of the movie, wasn't between a romantic couple at all, but between a mother and her son.

Overall, "Valentine's Day" is a sweet, light-hearted movie that is fluffy and easily forgettable.

Meghan St. John can be reached at meghan.stjohn@student.shu.edu.