Breast cancer awareness found in Caf, bookstore

Pink balloons, ribbons and signs of "HOPE," have decorated the Galleon to raise awareness for breast cancer. Colleges Against Cancer, a student club, decorated the Galleon as part of their awareness campaign.

"Our goal is to create cancer awareness," Colleges Against Cancer president Claudia Trejo said, "I hope that someday someone won't have to hear ‘you have cancer.'"

Breast cancer is an important issue for Trejo as she has lost one aunt to the disease and another had a full mastectomy.

"I feel that we are all affected by cancer. We have a connection to it," Trejo said.

Junior Aimee Hendron has had family affected by cancer and is taking action against the cause.

Making Strides Against Breast Cancer, an event by the American Cancer Society that will be held on Oct. 18 at 10 a.m. in Parsippany, NJ.

Along with Hendron, senior Allison Marron will also participate in the walk."My grandmother is a breast cancer survivor and I am participating in the walk because of her," Hendron said.

"I am participating in the walk to support my best friend her grandmother is a breast cancer survivor and I also think it's important to raise awareness of public health issues," Marron said. All three women agree that cancer awareness is important for college students.

"Cancer awareness is a huge thing for pretty much everybody," Hendron said."People don't tend to realize it until it hits someone close to them and college tends to be the point in people's lives where they begin to see cancer affecting the people around them."

Hendron said that the posters in the cafeteria are "a daily reminder" for why she is participating in the walk while at the same time they also serve as a reminder to others that even if cancer hasn't affected them personally, they are surrounded by people who have been affected by the disease.

"I understand what ‘hope' means and the significance of the signatures because I am participating in the walk, but I don't think a lot of students fully understand them," Marron said regarding the posters, "I wish there was more information available to students."

In addition to the breast cancer awareness posters in the cafeteria, Colleges Against Cancer hosts the Relay for Life in the spring.
Relay for Life is also an event run by the American Cancer Society and Seton Hall will host it on April 16, 2010.

According to a 2009 study, the National Cancer Institute Web site, "in the U.S. cancer accounts for nearly 1 of every 4 deaths." Hence, after heart disease, cancer is currently the second most common cause for death in the United States.

This year NCI predicts about 562,340 Americans will die per year from cancer and 1,500 people per day.

However, an estimate was conducted this year that said in 2005 approximately 11.1 million Americans who had a history of cancer were still alive.

NCI predicts about over 1.4 million new cancer cases to be diagnosed will be in 2009.

Jenna Berg can be reached at jenna.berg@student.shu.edu.