Elmore transfers to University of Rhode Island for graduate season

The University of Rhode Island’s women’s basketball team has acquired former Syracuse and Seton Hall forward Desiree Elmore on Wednesday.

Elmore spent the last three years of her collegiate basketball career playing for Seton Hall under head coach Anthony Bozzella after initially starting at Syracuse for her freshman season. She was named to the 2020-21 All-Big East First Team and was the only player in the Big East Conference to rank in the Top-15 in all five major statistical categories, averaging 17.4 points, 9.1 rebounds, 3.3 assists, 1.4 blocks and 1.9 steals.

BO0A8769-1-1024x576

"We are so excited to welcome Desi to our Ram family,” Tammi Reiss, head coach of URI’s women’s basketball team, said. “Both Coach [Adeniyi] Amadou and I had the opportunity to coach Desiree five years ago and we are blessed to have the opportunity to finish her collegiate career together."

Elmore started 17 of her 19 appearances this season and became the 23rd player in Seton Hall women’s basketball history to record 1,000 career points as a Pirate, finishing with 1,032 in three seasons. Over her three years at The Hall, Elmore was also named to the All-Big East Preseason Team in 2019-20 and 2020-21, the 2019-20 All-Met Third Team and the 2020-21 All-Met Second Team.

https://twitter.com/RhodyWBB/status/1387468092029251588?s=20

"She is a fierce competitor," Reiss said. "The sky is the limit for this young woman, and I can't wait for our fans to see her take the Ryan center floor."

Justin Sousa can be reach at justin.sousa@student.shu.edu. Follow him on Twitter @JustinSousa99.