The Setonian wins four NJPF awards, three in first place

The New Jersey Press Foundation awarded three first-place finishes and one second-place finish to The Setonian in the organization’s state-wide College Newspaper Contest on March 17.

Collegiate newspapers from around the state submit the best articles and multimedia elements to the foundation for judging each year. Anything published between March 1, 2020, and Feb. 28, 2021, was eligible to be nominated.

The Setonian walked away with three first-place awards for its coronavirus coverage, photography and feature writing, and one second-place award for best web project.

The three first-place awards were awarded to the paper’s Editor-in-Chief, Nicholas Kerr, and the second-place award was shared between News Editor Daniel O’Connor and Kerr.

Kerr acknowledged the dedication of the paper’s entire staff in delivering hard-hitting, essential coverage to the campus community during an unprecedented year.

“I think these awards are a reflection of the work that everyone puts into the paper every day. If it wasn’t for our hardworking editorial staff, writers and photographers, we surely would not have been able to grow our reach the way we did this year to deliver the coverage our readers deserved,” he said. “Everyone really grew to meet the challenges we faced as a result of the pandemic, and I am immensely grateful to every single one of them for tirelessly supporting the mission of The Setonian.”

See the full results and accompanying stories below:

First place:

Coronavirus Coverage – Nicholas Kerr

Feature Writing – Nicholas Kerr

Photography – Nicholas Kerr

Second place:

Web Project – Daniel O’Connor and Nicholas Kerr