Springtime ushers in a wave of new TV shows and seasons

With Hollywood back to work, several new TV shows and seasons are hitting the airwaves and  topping the charts. As students sit back and binge-watch their favorites, here some of their recommendations that they said are a must-watch this spring: 

image-16
Seton Hall students discuss the TV shows they are eager to watch this spring. (Photo via Netflix)

1. Ginny and Georgia 

Annabella Robb, a junior graphic design and history major, said she recently binge-watched the Netflix original series “Ginny and Georgia.” The show follows Georgia, an eccentric mother, and her two children, Ginny and Austin, who move to New England in hopes of a fresh start.

Robb said she would definitely recommend the show, which previously held the No.1 place in Netflix’s Top 10. 

“It has a really addicting plot, and it’s a quick and fun watch because all of the episodes are already available,” Robb said. “I really like seeing mother-daughter relationships, and I think the show has a really good balance of darkness and funniness.”  

The show premiered on Netflix on Feb. 24 with 10 episodes and received a 68% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The show has not been renewed for a second season, but according to MarieClare.com, the cliffhanger ending and the popularity of the show give fans hope for a second season.

2. WandaVision 

Natalie Tran, a freshman undecided major, said her favorite show is the Disney+ series “WandaVision.” The Marvel sitcom has just one season following Wanda (a.k.a. Scarlet Witch) and Vision moving into the New Jersey suburbs . 

“In the first few episodes, we see Wanda and Vision's lives play out in the form of sitcoms from various decades,” Tran said. “I thought this was a really unique concept, and it was fun following the characters around as they flip between different TV tropes.” 

Tran said that Scarlet Witch is one of her favorite Marvel superheroes, and she enjoyed receiving an entire show centered on the powerful yet underrated hero. She added that she recommends the show to anyone who is looking to watch something light-hearted and action-packed. 

The show has nine episodes and holds a 91% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

3. Bridgerton 

Sandra Swat, a freshman biology major, said she recommends “Bridgerton.” The show is an adaptation of the literary series of the same name and follows Daphne and her siblings as they search for love in 19th century London.  

“I love how I can follow Daphne’s journey as she searches for her husband,” Swat said. “I also love seeing all the balls and gatherings in the show,”

Swat said the show is different from others and does a good job of keeping her intrigued. 

“It’s very entertaining and fun to watch,” she said. “So far, there is only one season, but I can’t wait for the next.” 

With eight episodes, the show holds an 89% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Season two was announced earlier this year. 

4. The Walking Dead 

“The Walking Dead” portrays a group of survivors who fight to save their humanity in the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse. The show is based on the comic book series by Robert Kirkman and has been widely acclaimed since its premiere in 2010. 

Ethan Hom, a sophomore secondary special education and history double major, said he cannot wait for the the classic AMC series to return.

Hom said that he liked how “they could kill off any character, and it kept the audience on its toes.” He added that in spite of its length, “it’s definitely one of the better shows out there.” 

Production was halted due to the COVID-19 pandemic, however, AMC began airing six new episodes on Feb. 28. The season finale will air on April 1. 

5. Loki 

In the upcoming Disney+ original series, Tom Hiddleston reprises his role in the Marvel Cinematic Universe as Loki, the God of Mischief, and embarks on his own adventure in this follow-up to “Avengers: Endgame.”  

Adam Renna, a freshman communications major, said he is excited for “the possibilities that the story can bring,” such as the potential for character development in the franchise’s beloved villain.”

He added that watching the show can be a great way for students to unwind after the semester ends. 

The show will premiere on June 11, and like “WandaVision” and “The Falcon and The Winter Soldier,” Disney+ will release a new episode weekly.

An exclusive clip can be found on Marvel’s website. 

Peyton Hruska can be reached at peyton.hruska@student.shu.edu