Five must-have foods for Super Bowl Sunday

Super Bowl Sunday is a day that many football fanatics across the country look forward to whether their favorite team has made it to the big game or not.

The day is filled with family gatherings, watch parties and most importantly food. Over the years, there have been many food staples that are expected to be eaten while watching the big game. Here are five must-have foods to have on the table at any Super Bowl party:

Buffalo Chicken Wings

This Super Bowl Sunday staple could be baked, fried, bone-in, or boneless. Those who are not fans of spicy foods can tone down the heat with blue cheese dip or ranch dressing. 

“Wings are good every day of the year, but for some reason, they just taste better on Super Bowl Sunday,” Maria Brock, a sophomore business major, said. 

Wings-Photo-via-Wikimedia-Commons
Wings are one of the most popular game day meals. (Photo via Wikimedia Commons)

Brock provided her home recipe for her Super Bowl Sunday wings: 1 stick of butter, 1 cup of Frank’s Red Hot Sauce, chicken wings coated in cornstarch. Brock said that the wings must then be fried and a dash of salt and pepper should be added.

Chips

Chips are a must have food for Super Bowl Sunday. Many people will have bowls of chips, such as sour cream and onion chips or Doritos, on their tables this Sunday. 

“Chips are the foundation to everything else...you really cannot go wrong,” Diksha Hooda, a sophomore biology major, said. “Some people like plain chips, some people like dips, salsas, and guacamole; it is a must-have food because it can accommodate to anyone’s taste buds.” 

Hooda talked about his recipe for the pico de gallo to prepare for Super Bowl Sunday. The recipe calls for 2-3 diced tomatoes, cilantro, onion, lime juice, and 1 jalapeno pepper. “For an extra kick, I also add red pepper flakes,” said Hooda. His recipe for the guacamole calls for 2 avocados, cilantro, lime juice, red pepper flakes, red onions, and garlic. Cherry tomatoes can also be added.

Sliders

Cheeseburgers are an American classic food option and sometimes represented on the Super Bowl Sunday table in miniature form as sliders. They are typically served on a Hawaiian bun with numerous kinds of fillings. 

Some common fillings are honey barbeque chicken, ham and cheese, or cheeseburgers. Sliders are popular as they can easily be reheated and made in a big batch to serve a crowd. 

“We have sliders every year on Super Bowl Sunday; my favorites are ham and cheese sliders,” Patrick Fischer, sophomore business major, said.  

His recipe calls for King's original Hawaiian buns, ham, swiss cheese, and a special sauce made of 2 parts mayonnaise, and 1 part mustard. 

Football Cake Pops

Most Super Bowl Sunday foods are savory, so it is important to cut it with something sweet. A sweet option is cake pops. This sweet treat can be designed to resemble footballs to serve as a  symbolic Super Bowl decoration. 

“I make cake pops because they’re easy to make and taste great,” Jessica Wasik, a freshman chemistry major, said.

Her recipe calls for 1 chocolate cake (box mix is fine), chocolate frosting, melted chocolate, and melted white chocolate. 

“Bake the cake, let it cool, add chocolate frosting and mash until the cake has a play-dough-like consistency, roll into football shapes,” Wasik said. “Dip into chocolate, then draw the white laces with white chocolate. Top it off with a paper lollipop stick in the middle to make it a cake pop.” 

Pizza

Whether it is a plain pie or one with toppings, pizza is a food that caters to a large group as it is something many people enjoy.

“Ordering from a good, local pizza shop is a great idea because not only are you saving time among other Super Bowl Sunday preparations, you are helping support a small business,” Wasik said.

Nicole Miazga can be reached at nicole.miazga@student.shu.edu.