Seton Hall Weekend turns into weeklong series of virtual events

Seton Hall is hosting a series of virtual experiences and activities for students, parents and alumni as part of its Seton Hall Week which will run from Oct. 23 to Oct. 30.  

In place of Seton Hall Weekend, the University’s traditional weekendlong series of events, all of this year’s events will be run virtually and will spread out over an eight-day period to provide more opportunities for attendance. Admission is free, and events include virtual tours and lectures by staff and faculty members.

“Instead of welcoming you home to the Hall, Seton Hall will be coming into your home for the entire week,” University President Dr. Joseph Nyre said in an announcement video. “Though we can’t be together in person, we can still celebrate the people, places and memories that make Seton Hall great.” 

New events will also take place throughout the week including a “How I Got Here” series, where parents of Seton Hall students speak about their career paths. 

“This is a great opportunity, in a virtual environment, for parents to share their firsthand perspectives about their careers,” Sandro Tejada, director of Major Gifts for Seton Hall, played a leading role in organizing the series said. 

Parents presenting in the series will “use their time and their talent to enhance our mission at the University in helping our students get a clearer path on what they can do after [attending] Seton Hall,” Tejada said. 

Jennifer O’Sheal, director of special events, serves as the event’s committee chair. “One of the things I like most about serving as the committee chair is that I collaborate with colleagues and students from across campus,” she said.  “The committee worked together to create offerings that would appeal to alumni, parents, students, and the greater University community.”  

Though the Farinella 5K Race—which has been a part of Seton Hall Weekend for over 15 years—will not be occurring in-person, it will still be held virtually. Participants will run five kilometers on days and locations of their choice and submit their times after completion. The winners will be announced and awarded with prizes on Oct. 30.

“Back to School” classes will also be returning. At these sessions, Seton Hall staff and faculty lecture on a variety of topics and provide opportunities for parents and alumni, Tejada said.  

Those who are unable to attend Seton Hall Week’s events will be able to watch them through an “on-demand page” afterward.

“It's a great opportunity to reach our audience even after Seton Hall Week ends,” O’Sheal said

To view the full schedule for Seton Hall Week, visit the schedule-at-a-glance

Louis Motta can be reached at louis.motta@student.shu.edu