LIVE TRACKER: Seton Hall detected seven new coronavirus cases on Saturday

This is a breaking news story. Check back later for more updates.

October 25

Seton Hall reported eight new cases of the coronavirus early Sunday morning, pushing the total number of cases the University has seen since the start of the semester to 37. Seven of the cases, which were detected on Saturday, were reported in five off-campus and two on-campus students all connected to the South Orange campus.

The eighth case was said to be an employee who was found to be infected on Friday through outside testing.

The University has now detected 30 total coronavirus cases during the month of October – 25 of which were found in the last seven days – accounting for 80% of all cases since Seton Hall reopened in August.

Read more here.

October 23

For the second day in a row, Seton Hall saw six new cases of the coronavirus on its South Orange campus on Friday, pushing the University to 29 cases total since the start of the semester, 19 of which were from this week alone.

According to the Health Intervention and Communication Team dashboard, five of the individuals — all identified as students who live off campus and have not visited campus recently — were detected on Friday through the University’s testing protocol. The sixth case was detected in a University employee, who notified Seton Hall today and has not been on campus since Thursday.

Masked students sit on the University Green near a hand sanitizer spray bottle in late August. (Nicholas Kerr/Editor-in-Chief)

The University reported that the students were identified through contact tracing related to previously reported cases, but did not specify which cases.

Off campus students have made up for the lion’s share of those reported since last Friday, accounting for 16 of the 19 cases.

“All have received isolation instructions and are now in quarantine,” The University reported. “Any contacts identified in our community have been notified along with the local Department of Health.”

October 23

Seton Hall reported six new cases of the coronavirus on Friday the third straight day in which the University reported new cases and the largest single-day increase, topping Wednesday’s numbers.

According to the Health Intervention and Communication Team dashboard, four of the students were identified through the University’s testing protocol on Thursday. The fifth student was tested off campus. On Friday morning the University had initially reported only five cases from the prior day, but updated its dashboard later in the afternoon to indicate an additional student had been identified as testing positive.

The University has now reported 24 cases since the start of the fall semester and 30 cases overall, with October accounting for 51% of all cases since the start of the pandemic.

All of the students were reported as living off campus or commuting from home.

The University said that two of the cases were identified by contact tracing from a previously reported case, while the other three were already quarantining off campus, but did not say if these cases were related to the four connected cases from Oct. 20 and Oct. 21 or if any of these cases stem from a single event or series of events.

“Any contacts identified in our community have been notified along with the local Department of Health,” The University said. “Health Services continues to follow up on students who have tested positive; all are doing well.”

South Orange Office of Emergency Management Coordinator Scott Egelberg said that Seton Hall was keeping “in constant contact” with the Village’s Department of Health regarding the status of the students and their cases, adding that at this time there “does not appear to be any additional risks to the broader South Orange community other than the risks that already exist.”

“We always knew having cases would be inevitable and this increase in positive tests have been consistent with the recent increases seen in South Orange, the county and the state as a whole,” Egelberg noted. “The University appears to be following all the necessary protocols needed to isolate the infected students.”

When asked if any of Thursday’s cases were connected to any other prior cases on campus, Egelberg said that the Village doesn’t comment on information shared with contact tracers “unless there is a high risk to the public.”

October 22

Seton Hall recorded four new cases of the coronavirus on Wednesday evening, its highest single-day increase. According to the Health Intervention and Communication Team (HICT) dashboard, three of the cases appear to be related – another first for the University which, until this point, had only reported isolated cases.

The new numbers now bring the University to 17 coronavirus cases since the start of the semester for a total of 24 cases since the pandemic began in March.

Read more here.

October 21

Seton Hall reported its third case of the coronavirus in just five days on Tuesday, bringing the total number of cases since the start of the fall semester to 13.

Since the start of October, the University has reported six cases of the virus, accounting for 30% of its cases since the pandemic began in March.

According to the University, the case was detected through Health Service’s own coronavirus testing protocol on Oct. 20. The individual was identified as a student who lives off campus and had not been present on the University’s South Orange campus since last week.

“Contacts identified in our community have been notified along with the South Orange Department of Health,” the University reported on its coronavirus dashboard. “The risk of exposure to other campus community members is believed to be low.”

October 19

Two students on Seton Hall’s Interprofessional Health Sciences (IHS) campus in Nutley, New Jersey were reported as having tested positive for the coronavirus on Monday, bringing the total number of cases to 12 since the start of the fall semester and 19 since the start of the pandemic in March.

According to the University’s coronavirus dashboard, the cases were initially detected on Oct. 17.

The cases mark the second and third instances, respectively, of the coronavirus on the University’s IHS campus. The first case was reported on Sept. 29 after a student who was present on the campus tested positive for the virus.

The two new cases appear to be unrelated, the University said, and contacts of the students were notified through a contact tracing effort, adding that “the risk to the University community is believed to be low.”

October 10

Seton Hall reported one additional case of the coronavirus on Saturday morning — its second in just two days and the third this week. The University has now recorded 10 cases of the coronavirus since the start of the fall semester and 17 since March.

The individual was identified by the University on Oct. 9 as a student who had been both taking classes and living on Seton Hall’s South Orange Campus, but will now be isolating at home.

According to Seton Hall’s Health Intervention and Communication Team dashboard, close contacts of the student have been notified, alongside the South Orange Department of Health, and the risk of transmission to other members of the community “is believed to be low.”

October 9

Seton Hall reported its ninth case of the coronavirus for the fall semester on Friday, the second positive test this week. The announcement brings the University to 16 total cases of COVID-19 since March.

According to Seton Hall’s Health Intervention and Communication Team dashboard, the individual was identified as a student who lives off campus and has not been present on campus in the last two weeks. The case was first detected on Thursday.

A tent sits outside of the Seton Hall Health Services building in September. (Nicholas Kerr/Editor-in-Chief)

The University said that the student is currently isolating at home and that “any contacts identified in our community have been notified, and the South Orange Department of Health has been notified.”

The risk of exposure to other campus community members is believed to be low.

October 5

Seton Hall reported its eighth case of the coronavirus for the fall semester on Monday, bringing the University to a total of 15 cases since the start of the pandemic.

The latest case brings the University to a total of 5 cases in the last two weeks alone, a stark increase from a relative lull in reported cases during much of September.

According to the University’s Health Intervention and Communication Team dashboard, the student — who lives off campus — tested positive on Oct. 3.

The student was last on campus on Sept. 23 and is isolating at home, the announcement said.

“Any contacts identified in our community have been notified,” the University reported, though it did not note if any additional students were required to quarantine or what the risk of exposure to other members of the campus community is estimated to be.

September 30

Seton Hall reported two new cases of the coronavirus on Wednesday, bringing the University to a total of seven cases since the start of the fall semester and 14 since the beginning of the pandemic in March. According to the University’s COVID-19 dashboard, the cases were detected through “off-campus testing.”

The individuals were recorded as having tested positive on Tuesday, Sept. 29, though the University’s dashboard did not note the cases until Wednesday.

Seton Hall’s Health Services building sits along South Orange Avenue. (Nicholas Kerr/Editor-in-Chief)

According to the announcement, one of the individuals who tested positive was recorded as being based at Seton Hall’s Interprofessional Health Sciences (IHS) campus in Nutley, New Jersey, while the other was based at the University’s main campus in South Orange. The two cases are thought to be unrelated.

“Contacts with these individuals, on and off-campus, have been notified and will quarantine, following health protocols,” the announcement read. “Health Services will continue to follow up with them to monitor their status.”

Tuesday’s case marks the first recorded instance of the coronavirus at Seton Hall’s IHS campus.

Unlike in previous statements, the University did not note what the risk of exposure to other members of the campus community is estimated to be.

September 24

Seton Hall reported its fourth and fifth cases of the coronavirus for the fall semester on its dashboard today. The cases, which were detected on Sept. 23, bring the total confirmed number of coronavirus cases on the University’s South Orange campus to 12 since the start of the pandemic.

According to the University’s dashboard, “Neither case was related to exposure on campus, and neither individual has been on campus since exposure.” Additionally, it is believed that the cases are unrelated and that “neither individual has had contact since exposure with anyone on campus” with the exception of Health Services, where the tests were performed.

Both individuals have now entered isolation off-campus, where Health Services says they will continue to follow up on and monitor their status. The risk of exposure to other members of the campus community is said to be “low.”

August 24

Seton Hall reported its second and third confirmed coronavirus cases of the fall semester on its South Orange campus, bringing the University to a total of 10 confirmed cases since the start of the pandemic.⁠ ⁠

According to the University’s Health Intervention and Communication Team webpage, the individuals were detected on Aug. 20 and Aug. 24, respectively, through its coronavirus testing protocols and has been moved to isolation, noting that the risk of transmission to the campus community remains “low.”⁠

Students gathered on the Green Sunday for the University’s annual Blue Day Carnival. (Nicholas Kerr/Editor-in-Chief)

It remains unclear if the infected individuals are students, staff or faculty members.

“The appropriate public health department officials and Seton Hall University’s Health Services were immediately notified, have gathered all appropriate information from the affected individual, and have contacted anyone who needed to be interviewed,” both announcements noted.

The news comes as South Orange Village President Sheena Collum told The Village Green on Sunday that she would meet with University officials on Monday to discuss Seton Hall’s reopening.

August 17

In an email sent out to the University community, Seton Hall reported on Monday its first positive on-campus case of COVID-19 since April, bringing the University to a cumulative total of 8 confirmed cases since the start of the pandemic.

According to the University, the asymptomatic individual was identified via its testing protocol on Aug. 15 and has been moved to isolation. The email did not specify whether the individual was a student, faculty or staff member but noted that the “risk of exposure to other members of the campus is low.”

A mask-wearing individual exists the University parking deck on Aug. 16, 2020. (Nicholas Kerr/Editor-in-Chief)

“The appropriate public health department officials and Seton Hall University’s Health Services were immediately notified, have gathered all appropriate information from the affected individual, and have contacted anyone who needed to be interviewed,” the email from University Relations read.

News of the positive case comes just one day after the University began its general move-in of resident students on Sunday.

The University also sought to reassure students of the robustness of its reopening plan despite the positive case in the email, noting that it already had protocols in place for the enhanced cleaning and sanitization of facilities across campus in its restart plan.

“Unassigned and general use bathrooms will be cleaned and sanitized twice a day, seven days a week and public restrooms will be monitored and cleaned throughout the day and sanitized seven days per week,” The University said.

On Friday, Seton Hall announced that it would pivot back to a hybrid semester beginning on Aug. 31 following an executive order from N.J. Gov. Phil Murphy allowing colleges and universities statewide to resume in-person classes.

Nicholas Kerr can be reached at nicholas.kerr@student.shu.edu. Find him on Twitter @nickdotkerr.

Author: Nicholas Kerr