University launches updated COVID-19 dashboard, details total number of tests administered

Seton Hall’s Health Intervention and Communication Team launched a new dashboard for COVID-19 data on the University’s website.

The new dashboard breaks down case data from Seton Hall, South Orange, Newark and beyond.

DSC_0083-2-1024x683
A nurse works to administer COVID-19 tests under Xavier Hall to resident students moving in on Aug. 30, 2020. (Nicholas Kerr/Editor-in-Chief)

It currently reports three known cases of coronavirus on campus since fall reopening, and nine cases since the start of the pandemic. It also says that 1,785 students have been tested by the school, a number which has stayed stagnant since The Setonian began tracking the dashboard on Sept. 4. 

All three case announcements state that “it is believed the risk of exposure to other members of the campus community is low.”

The first case to be reported this semester was on Aug. 15, when an asymptomatic individual’s result came back positive. Two more cases were detected by the University on Aug. 20 and Aug. 24, respectively.

The dashboard comes just days after a Seton Hall virologist with experience studying other coronaviruses called the risk of a COVID-19 outbreak on campus “unacceptably high.”

The statement from Dr. Brian Nichols, an associate professor of biology, came as Health Services clarified its testing and tracing protocols in an interview with The Setonian.

Daniel O’Connor can be reached at daniel.oconnor1@student.shu.edu. Find him on Twitter @ItsDanOConnor.