Apple releases new iPhones to mixed reviews

On Sept. 10, Apple announced its new set of iPhones, prompting mixed reactions. Released on Sept. 20, the phones’ most noticeable change from previous iterations are the multiple cameras, with the iPhone 11 sporting an extra sensor, and the iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max having a total of three lenses.

Some welcomed the new change as a necessary step to provide better photography capabilities. Others felt as though the three lenses looked like a ridiculous gimmick, and made the phone look ugly.

The camera, however, is not the only aspect of the iPhone that has been altered, as the iPhone 11 Pro, the flagship model, is larger and has a longer battery life than its predecessor.

Apple_iphone_11-water-resistant-091019_big.jpg.large_
Photo via Apple Newsroom
Some students call the new line of iPhones ugly, while others are impressed by the improved camera.

Besides the camera changes, the new set of iPhones are hardly a departure from recent models. In terms of size, the iPhone 11 shares the same dimensions as the iPhone XR at 5.94 inches tall, 2.98 inches wide, 0.33 inches deep and weighs 6.8 ounces.

In terms of performance, the iPhone 11 is a marginal upgrade, with the processor being slightly improved, and the infamous new camera allowing for wide angles and ultra wide angle shots.

The iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone Pro Max are billed as essentially the same phone with the Max simply being different in terms of size, similarly to their predecessors the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max.

The iPhone 11 Pro is 5.7 inches tall, 2.81 inches wide, 0.32 inches deep, and weighs 6.6 ounces. Contrastingly, the iPhone 11 Pro Max is 6.2 inches tall, 3.06 inches wide, 0.32 inches deep, and weighs 8 ounces.

The two Pros are indeed very similar in terms of specifications except when it comes to battery life, with the Pro Max supporting roughly an hour more than the Pro.

The third lens on the Pros enables significantly enhanced zooming capabilities and provides improved camera capabilities. This change has been met with considerable public backlash, mockery and confusion, with the fundamental complaint being that this simply makes the phone ugly.

“I think they look weird; I just don’t understand why there’s three of them,” Madison Mindham, a freshman business management major, said.

Some students agree that the look is different, but see the silver lining in the camera’s better performance.

“I don’t think it looks ugly, I just think it looks very bizarre,” Andrea Carreno, a freshman business major, said. “But if the quality of the pictures would be better, then that won’t matter at the end of the day.” Elyse Lanterman, a freshman psychology major, said, “It looks ridiculous. I feel like if you’re that concerned about taking good pictures, you should just get a camera.”

Liam Brucker-Casey can be reached at liam.bruckercasey@student.shu.edu.