Freshman comes from family of Seton Hall golf champions

James Bosworth is Seton Hall royalty.

Despite attending the University for less than a month, Bosworth is among the richest legacy of athletes to don the blue and white, as his father, uncle and grandfather played golf for the Pirates, with his father and uncle both capturing Big East titles for the men’s golf program. The family tradition has had him ready to attend the school since birth.

“This was my number one dream my entire life,” Bosworth said. “It is surreal in the moment. I always wanted to come here and now that I am here, it is pretty weird. Sometimes I am walking around campus at night thinking that I am actually here.”

Bosworth-92519

Although Bosworth has been ready to be a Pirate his whole life and is excited for the opportunity to play golf here, there is still some nervousness to perform on the golf course.

“There have been little hints, like my dad wearing his ring all the time, my uncle does too,” Bosworth said. “There is a little pressure with that, but you just have fun in the moment. You think everything is such a big deal until 10 years after. You are not going to remember not qualifying for a small event, but you just have to be happy.”

The nerves may sometimes pay a factor in Bosworth’s performance, but his family’s successful history also inspires him. Bosworth does not want to be drowned out by what his family accomplished, he wants to be remembered just as much as them.

“They motivate me by wanting to be better than them,” said Bosworth. “I did not come here just to be the backstep”

Not only does Bosworth have something to prove to his family and the program, but also to perhaps the three most important figures in Seton Hall Athletics: Athletic Director Bryan Felt, former AD and newly named Executive Vice President Pat Lyons and men’s basketball head coach Kevin Willard.

Bosworth has been family friends with all three for the majority of his life. He went to basketball camp with Felt’s children when he was younger, and his father has been close with Lyons and Willard since they joined the University. In fact, Bosworth’s family and Willard traveled to California in the summer to attend the U.S. Open and spend a night at Bosworth’s grandparents’ house. Willard’s success with the basketball program was also a reason for Bosworth to attend Seton Hall, especially since he says he has watched Seton Hall basketball his entire life.

“I want to be able to go to games, watch the NCAA Tournament and have fun,” Bosworth said. “I want to see Villanova, go watch them play at Madison Square Garden, that would be cool.”

Even though he has multiple, major connections to the university, Bosworth believes he belongs on the golf team, and is making it his mission to be a contributing proponent to the program for the next four seasons that could potentially take home a conference crown, just like how his father and uncle did.

“My expectation is to fight in the lineup,” Bosworth said. “I think I am good enough to play. My goal is to win the Big East championship. That should be the only goal.”

Robert Fallo can be reached at robert.fallo@student.shu.edu. Find him on Twitter @robert_fallo.