Career Fair takes over gym, helps students find jobs

Hundreds of students, alumni and employers filled the Richie Reagan Recreation and Athletic Center as the Career Center hosted its annual Career Fair on Wednesday.

More than 135 employers attended the fair as companies such as Deloitte, Strkyer, Univision, Novartis and Madison Square Garden had tables in the gymnasium to discuss job and internship opportunities with students.

This year, the Career Center introduced a new mobile app that featured a map of the Career Fair and the list of visiting employers for students to download. Reesa Greenwald, director of the Career Center, said the move to an electronic version helped with accessibility and the environment. She said the app also allowed students to research in advance so they are prepared for the fair.

IMG_7349-1024x683
Kiera Alexander/Photography Editor
Employers visited Seton Hall at the annual Career Fair to discuss job and internship opportunities with students.

In addition, seniors were able to enter the fair 15 minutes earlier to get the first chance of meeting with employers.

Greenwald said Seton Hall has a huge database of employers who take interns every semester. She said Seton Hall’s reputation encourages employers to register for the fair after researching the University’s website.

In fact, Greenwald noted that some employers had to be put on a waiting list because of the high number of companies wanting to attend.

Before the career fair, there were several events to help students, such as resume building and helping students talk to employers.

The fair also had Pirate Mentors – Seton Hall alumni who coach the students. They were tasked with helping the students who felt overwhelmed or intimidated when they entered the fair.

Jonathan Quinn, a junior marketing major, attended the Career Fair and said he enjoyed how well-organized the event was. “I liked that there a lot of employers at the fair who were willing to hire Seton Hall students,” Quinn said. “I learned patience, waiting in line, knowing how to talk to employees, how to look professional and how to be professional.”

Quinn said he wishes there were more employers at the Career Fair, especially for students who weren’t business majors. “I know they had education and nursing opportunities here, but I think there should be more of them for different majors,” he said.

Anne Marielle Jerez, a junior political science major, also attended the career fair and said she was able to talk to the employers with whom she wanted to speak. “There’s a lot of other opportunities for someone like me, a political science major,” Jerez said. “There was a whole row dedicated to government-based jobs. I found that interesting.

“I think it’s a good opportunity, whether you’re a freshman or a senior, to network,” she said. “It’s never too early to start looking for a job. I know at the end of the day, that is why we’re in college and it’s what we want to achieve.”

Greenwald said, “There are some organizations that you think are looking for one group of students, when in fact they are looking for lots of other people.”

Victoria Rossi can be reached at victoria.rossi@student.shu.edu.