Pirates defeated in opener

The Seton Hall women’s volleyball team lost its first game of the year, 3-2, to Morgan State on Friday in Baltimore, Maryland.  

The Pirates opened up the first set of the match by losing 25-18. After the set was tied at 3-3, Morgan State gained momentum, and stopped any sort of rhythm for the Pirates. The Bears would go on a 9-1 run and wind up leading 12-4.  

For set two, the Pirates tied the match 1-1 with a score of 25-19. The second set was a complete turnaround from the first set as the Pirates took control early. They started the match with a 5-1 lead, as Morgan State gave away points on a couple of errors.  

VBALL-9119-1024x576

After an 18-17 score, Seton Hall would go on a 7-2 run and win the set from there. Amanda Rachwal had a team-high six kills in set two. 

Morgan State took back the match lead during set three, as the Bears won 25-23. The Pirates at one point led 20-19 in the set, but Morgan State’s Zoe McBride was able to score three crucial kills to secure the set. The Pirates would take set four 25-22 to tie the match at 2-2, though. 

At 2-2, both teams played one last set. The Pirates would fall down 15-5 from the repeated issues of errors and clinical play from McBride.   

Overall, the Pirates were outmatched offensively by Morgan State. Morgan State recorded 71 kills to the Pirates’ 45. The Bears also had 63 assists to Seton Hall’s 40. 

Pirates’ setter Maggie Cvelbar came out with a 29-assist performance on the day. Rachwal and Reece Koehler both led the team in kills, with Rachwal scoring 11 and Koehler with 10. 

The Pirates will still stay in Baltimore and will next face Quinnipiac University on Aug. 31 at 10:00 a.m. 

Ryan Beltran can be reached at Ryan.Beltran@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @RyanB591011.