SHU springs forward into fashion with new trends

For some Seton Hall students, the emergence of a new season means new fashion trends. Several students shared their top picks for spring fashion trends people can rock anywhere, from early morning classes to a fancy day out.

Fashion-Collage-1024x633
Students recommended wearing striped patterns, dress shirts, and silk scarves this spring. Photo Courtesy of Stefan Ferreira, Julia Nichols, and Wesley Tseng for Versed Media

Silk Scarves

Julia Nicolls, a freshman diplomacy major, said silk scarves have been spotted on the runways recently. “My favorite way to wear them is either in my hair with a ponytail or tied around my chest as a shirt,” Nicolls said. She also explained that scarves have high versatility since they can be worn as tops, skirts, headwear and sewn onto shoes. Nicolls added that the trend has revolutionized something as common as fashion. “I see it all over the streets, and it instantly makes your outfit more classy,” she said.

Nicolls, who works in the city, said she often sees scarves priced at around $500 from Hermès and Balenciaga. However, she said students can easily make the trend their own while working within their own budget.

Striped Patterns and Jumpsuits

Emily High, a junior public relations major, said she has an “innate love for styling.” High said that each season, jumpsuits become even trendier than the last and “are a statement pieces all on themselves.”

High added that a multicolored scarf around the waist can help pull the look together. She said striped patterns are always a versatile piece and suggested putting a bright statement piece on when wearing stripes to break up, “the fluidity of stripes and pull the look together.”

Vintage Pants

Stefan Ferreira, a freshman diplomacy major, said he chose vintage pants as one of his top picks for spring fashion. “The top trend in menswear this season is not the deliberate move to genderless clothing, but the general indifference regarding the distinction (of clothing),” Ferreira said. He pointed out that trends from past decades are returning and designers are being inspired by notable eras of fashion.

Ferreira added that the fashion world is becoming a “recycled business” and that buying second hand clothing has reinvented fashion. “It’s economic, good for the environment, and it’s simply stylish,” Ferreira said.

Dress Shirts

“The ambition in menswear is evident,” Ferreira said, “but the ultimate reason for it can only speak for itself.” Ferreira said he also suggests hitting up fast fashion outlets such as H&M and Forever 21, to get “thrift chic lines” for the season. He added, “Regardless of your budget or preference, fashion for this spring will never cease to be honest and consumer driven.”

Elise Kerim can be reached at elise.kerim@student.shu.edu