Alpha Gam and Phi Delt sweep Greek Week

After a week of competitions and fundraisers, the Greek Municipal Assembly (GMA) announced the team of Alpha Gamma Delta and Phi Delta Theta the winners of Seton Hall’s annual Greek Week competition.

keep-3-1024x645
The team of Alpha Gamma Delta and Phi Delta Theta won this year’s annual Greek Week. Kiera Alexander/Asst. Photography Editor

Joshua Corpuz, a senior diplomacy major and secretary of GMA, said Greek Week is an annual event that consists of events that are meant to strengthen the bonds between all the fraternities and sororities. He said these friendly competitions and events are to exhibit the four pillars of Greek Life to the highest quality. The four pillars are scholarship, leadership, service and brotherhood and sisterhood.

Corpuz said the goal of the week is to show how the Seton Hall community has a strong and united Greek Life. “Greek Week is optional, however, it is a good opportunity for Greek Life to shine and show the good things we do on campus,” he said.

The winners of the competition received a Greek Week championship plaque to be hung up in the University Center, a prize of $240 to donate to an organization of their choice, and Seton Hall Greek Life gear. Alpha Gamma Delta and Phi Delta Theta beat out five other teams in the competition. The sorority and fraternity won after receiving the most amount of points from the competitions.

Nicholas Marinelli, a sophomore business major and president of Phi Delta Theta Fraternity, said it was an honor to win Greek Week.

“We were all so grateful for the award, and of course humbled,” Marinelli said. “Every member in the chapter participated and it shows that hard work and determination pays off. It was definitely a great way to end the exciting events of Greek Week.”

All the events were planned by the GMA and teams were determined by the assembly Corpuz explained. He added that teams are set to be the same size and try to have an equal number of men and women. After picking the date, Corpuz said the assembly began to solidify events, teams and rooms at the beginning of the year.

“CanCastles” was a new event added to the itinerary which challenged teams to construct creative models out of canned goods. After the event, all the canned goods were donated to local organizations. Along with creating new events, the assembly was responsible for developing a theme for the week.

“This year’s theme was Legends,” Corpuz said. “This idea of Legends is for Greek Life to understand what makes them legendary, different, and special on campus. This theme was meant to challenge teams to find out what really makes them legends.”

The GMA works closely with the College Against Cancer Foundation. There are several fundraisers set up throughout the week, such as “Penny Wars,” which raised around $1,800 for the organization. The week ended with Relay for Life, which is a fundraiser set up by the American Cancer Society and College against Cancer.

Samantha Yaccarino, a sophomore social work major and sister of Zeta Tau Alpha, said her favorite part of Greek Week was seeing Seton Hall come together as a community and raise money for a good cause.

“My favorite event was Relay for Life because I got to honor my grandfather, who passed away from pancreatic cancer,” Yaccarino said.

Nicholas Hernandez can be reached at nicholas.hernandez@student.shu.edu.