Team Walker steps up with fundraiser for children

On April 27, the organization Team Walker will host a 1.5 mile fundraiser walk around the Hudson River called Walk for Team Walker.

Alumnus Gabriel Fiore ‘17, Director of Marketing and Communications for Team Walker, explained that the walk is geared toward unifying the community and to raise money for their children’s summer program.

“Walk for Team Walker” allows families and friends to enjoy the sights of the Jersey City Waterfront. Photo via Facebook/@TeamWalkerJerseyCity

“The importance of the summer program is to provide academic reinforcement so our kids don’t fall behind in learning in the school year, and to stay safe and out of trouble,” Fiore said.

Fiore explained that having a program for kids is critical, especially during the summer, since many studies show the importance of occupying their time and strengthening their education.

He said that the organization’s aim is to improve the quality life of children through improving the mind, body and soul, which is the organization’s motto.

Jerry Walker, President of Team Walker, said that their summer program is a unique one that takes advantage of leisure time to improve the student’s basic skills, like mathematics and reading comprehension.

Jenna Williams, a junior public relations major, said she signed up to volunteer for the Walk for Team Walker fundraiser.

Williams said that she feels the walk is for an amazing cause and explained that she got to meet the children who would take part in the summer program.

“I got the chance to go down to Team Walker in Jersey City and actually see the kids these proceeds would be benefitting,” Williams said. “They’re so sweet, and you can tell they’re eager to learn. Knowing this walk could assist in getting them updated school supplies and just the best experience possible is very fulfilling.”

Fiore explained that the walk will be a relaxing and fun time for families and friends to enjoy the sights and take part in many activities. He said that the activities include live music, face painting and the dance team, Team Walker Steppers.

Fiore added that both the Seton Hall and St. Peter University’s mascots will be in attendance at the fundraiser.

Walker said that he encourages all to come out to The Waterfront for the great experience.

“I am looking forward to exposing some of the Seton Hall community, especially the students, to the Jersey City Waterfront,” Walker said. “It’s a beautiful place to live and a beautiful place to work.”

Werdeh Hassan can be reached at werdeh.hassan@student.shu.edu.