Seton Hall lands Canisius transfer Takal Molson

On April 17, Seton Hall added additional guard depth behind Quincy McKnight and Anthony Nelson with the announcement that former Canisius guard Takal Molson is transferring into the program.

A New York native, Molson was a member of the MAAC All-Rookie team in 2017-18 and was named conference Rookie of the Year after averaging 12.6 points, five rebounds and 2.6 assists in 33 starts. He was the fourth freshman in program history to take home MAAC Rookie of the Year honors.

In his sophomore year, Molson took his game to a new level and raised his points per game and rebound per game totals to 16.9 and 5.4, respectively. He scored a career-high 28 points Niagara in February and helped lead Canisius to an 11-7 mark in conference play. Molson’s efforts earned him an All-MAAC selection at season’s end.

Molson-424-1024x576

Seton Hall added All-MAAC selection and Canisius transfer Takal Molson on April 17. Photo via Canisius Athletics

Shortly after a season-ending loss to Monmouth in the MAAC Tournament, Molson entered his name into the NCAA Transfer portal. With assistant coach Duane Woodward serving as the primary recruiter, Seton Hall secured an official visit with Molson on April 1 and it went well enough for Molson to commit to the Pirates 16 days later.

“As soon as I entered the transfer portal, Coach Woodward came right out to see me,” Molson told Jerry Carino of the Asbury Park Press “When I visited, I loved everything about Seton Hall.”

On the visit, Molson bonded with his host, Sandro Mamukelashvili. The two shared an unforeseen international connection, which helped solidify his feelings about Seton Hall and his future teammate.

“I’ve visited his hometown, which is kind of crazy,” Molson told Carino “Small world. So, I’ve got a really good connection with Sandro now.”

Molson’s transfer is reminiscent of Quincy McKnight’s move from Sacred Heart to Seton Hall two years ago. Both players transferred following their sophomore years seeking an upgrade in competition and a better chance to make the NCAA Tournament. With McKnight graduating after next season and Molson sitting out the 2019-2020 campaign due to NCAA transfer rules, Molson has the chance to slide into Seton Hall’s starting lineup and replicate McKnight’s role once he becomes eligible.

“I watched clips of him and saw how tough he plays,” Molson said. “I definitely think I can make those kinds of contributions. I’m more comfortable being a combo guard. I can play anywhere on the floor. I’m pretty sure I can guard one through four. I would say my game is toughness, physicality, doing anything to win.”

Molson’s arrival coincides with the departure of former 2019 commit Dashawn Davis, who signed with Trinity Valley Community College in Texas on April 23.

“I’ve always wanted to play in the Big East or the ACC,” Molson said. “My grandfather grew up a big Georgetown fan, so my family loves the Big East. I can’t wait to get started.”

Tyler Calvaruso can be reached at tyler.calvaruso@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @tyler_calvaruso.