Great Minds on the Green puts students’ skills to the test

On April 24, Seton Hall’s Public Relations and Marketing Department hosted “Great Minds on the Green” to promote their new slogan, “What Great Minds Can Do.”

Dan Kalmanson, the associate vice president of the public relations and marketing department, said they started developing this campaign back in 2015 as a way to promote the University’s focus and identify its core distinctive strengths. Kalmanson added that the department decided on the tagline “What Great Minds Can Do” because they felt it “supported the University’s strategic goals and Catholic Mission.”

IMG_6968-1024x683
Students challenged themselves with Rubik’s Cubes, puzzles and SHU trivia on the Green. Kiera Alexander/Asst. Photography Editor

A large number of students and faculty challenged themselves with Rubik’s Cubes, puzzles and Seton Hall trivia for the chance to win gift cards, T-shirts, tote bags and more.

Jessica Moore, a sophomore occupational therapy major, accepted her $5 Dunkin’ Donuts gift card prize on the Green at the event.

Moore was one of the many members of the Seton Hall community who put their brains on display this past week at the Great Minds on the Green event. Moore’s prize was earned for only taking a couple minutes to solve a side of a Rubik’s cube.

“I’m so glad I stopped by to check out the table before class,” Moore said.

"It’s a gorgeous day to be out on the green, so it’s nice to take advantage of these events.”

Nicole Boodhoo, a junior finance major who has worked with the department for the past two years, said she was excited for the event’s success.

“I think that it’s brought a lot of attention to the Great Minds campaign, which is something we’ve really been working to promote throughout the campus,” Boodhoo said.

IMG_6969-1024x683
Kiera Alexander/Asst. Photography Editor

Boodhoo said her favorite part of the event was having people come up to nominate fellow students and teachers they felt should be featured as Great Minds of the Week on the school’s website.

This lineup of brain games is only the beginning of the “What Great Minds Can Do” campaign, according to the public relations & marketing department.

Aleksandra Golda, a freshman marketing and management major, is one of the many student workers in the department, and shared her thoughts.

“We’re hoping to make the Great Minds on the Green an annual event,” Golda said. “I’d say we had around 500 people stop by the table today, and I think that it did a really great job of both promoting the new slogan and bringing awareness to the campaign.”

Kalmanson said that he would like to see all of the schools, colleges, offices and student groups on our campus become more engaged with the branding campaign and include the “What Great Minds Can Do” tagline and messaging as part of their storytelling.

Kalmanson said, “We want to show the world that Seton Hall not only provides our students with top tier education, but also a strong moral compass that encourages them to make a positive contribution to their communities.”

Eilish Montgomery can be reached at eilish.montgomery@student.shu.edu.