Shortened contest ends in defeat for Pirates

Despite being stopped in the sixth inning due to rain, the Seton Hall baseball lost, 11-8, to Rider on Tuesday afternoon. With the loss, the Pirates drop to 13-15 on the season.

The Pirates came out of the gate hot, scoring three runs in the first inning. Rider came back, however, cutting the deficit to one by the end of the inning. The seesaw battle continued in the next inning, though, as Tyler Shedler-McAvoy singled to left center, allowing Christian Del Castillo and Casey Dana to score.

baseball-rider-49-1024x576

After a scoreless third inning, Del Castillo hit a homerun to increase the Pirates’ lead. Following that, Matt Toke and Steve Grober would scored to make it 8-2 in the fourth inning.

After that, the runs for the Pirates stopped. Rider scored one run in the fourth inning, and in the fifth, it took off scoring three runs, making it an 8-6 game.

To cap out the comeback, Rider would score five runs to close the game at 11-8. The Pirates would only hit two times after their fourth inning barrage, while Rider would tally seven hits to help their comeback.

Del Castillo finished with two walks and two runs scored, including the homerun in the third. Steve Grober went 3-for-4 with a run scored and a team-best three RBIs.

The Pirates return to action on April 10 against Princeton.

Ryan Beltran can be contacted at Ryan.Beltran@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @RyanB591011