Tips on how to dress for success this formals season

An annual tradition of some Greek organizations is formal season, which primarily consists of dances and ceremonies.

Seton Hall students weighed in with advice and tips for students to look and feel their best for the occasion.

Emily High said that a jumpsuit with a few statement accessories, like jewelry or scarves, combined create a definite “power look” for any formal event or party. Photo via Flickr/Mathilda Samuelsson

Victoria Cardona, a senior finance and management major, provided her insight on dressing up.

“When it comes to formals or any event that calls for dressing up, I always say go dress with the theme in mind,” Cardona said. “It’s always sleek and chic when what someone wears matches their scenery or environment.”

Cardona, who is also the President of the Fashion Club, added that if there isn’t a specific theme or idea to formal events, one should think outside the box to create a unique look.

“Go crazy, go out of the box, but also go with what fits best and makes you comfortable,” she advised.

Katherine Brown, a sophomore nursing major, also shared some tips she learned to get through formal season.

Brown first advised that if wearing high heels are too uncomfortable, one should wear them with fuzzy socks. She added that the heels can also be conveniently stretched out with a blow dryer.

Brown then ran off a quick list of tips that students should remember as the season approaches. “If your eyes are puffy, dab them with a wet tea bag to minimize it,” Brown added. “You can use a straightener to curl your hair, and always sit next to the food.”

Emily High, a sophomore public relations major, said that she loves fashion and giving styling tips. She remarked on a few trends she said she has been noticing this season.

“A trend I have been noticing lately for formal wear is ditching the dress for an elegant jumpsuit or brightly-colored, tailored pantsuit,” High said.

High added that one can pair a jumpsuit with a few statement accessories, like jewelry or scarves. She said that the jumpsuit and accessories combined create a definite “power look” for any formal event or party.

The last tip comes from Camryn O’Neill, a sophomore psychology major, who suggested a clever hack to stay put together throughout a formal.

“Double-sided fabric tape is a must have and replaces safety pins as a more practical alternative to hold your outfit in place,” O’Neill advised.

The students all expressed that comfort is an important factor in whatever unique look a person chooses to go for. They stressed that feeling comfortable in the way one feels and the way a person looks is the most essential accessory.

Werdeh Hassan can be reached at werdeh.hassan@student.shu.edu.