How to prevent yourself from burning out

Students share tips on how to stay motivated and productive post-midterms

Midterms have passed for most students, yet it is only a matter of time until the assignments begin to pile up. Seton Hall students shared tips on how to avoid future burnouts and remain productive through the end of the semester:

Get a Good Workout In

IMG_6792-1024x683
SHU students can enjoy a diverse range of exercise options. MacKenzie Wetherill/ Staff Photographer

The Richie Reagan Atheltic Center provides all students with the opportunity to stay active and energized. Tiana Lohmiller, a sophomore diplomacy and international relations major, said she enjoys getting time in at the gym because it serves as a good way to unwind. “It’s a nice feeling to know that you’re doing something good for yourself beyond the school work you have that can sometimes weigh you down,” she said. The gym on campus has a diverse range of exercise options like treadmill, yoga, Zumba, or spin. Avni Chawla, a sophomore accounting major, said going to the gym helps her take out any frustration. “Working out releases endorphins, which makes you happy,” she said.

Take Breaks

Wesley Kopituk, a freshman diplomacy and international relations major, said he makes sure he schedules time for breaks and some fun in order to stay sane with all the work. The possibilities are endless, from grabbing brunch with friends, listening to music and more. When asked if this would be detrimental when students find themselves with two essays, four exams, and countless pages of readings for class.Kopituk said, “I think that it is actually more counterproductive to attempt non-stop work.” She added, “The brain is not meant to handle that much input for such extended periods of time and if you take breaks, then the time you do work is more productive than if you do work non-stop.”

Take A Nap

College students are notorious for pulling all-nighters. Maiem Alam, a freshman diplomacy and international relations major, suggested taking a nap before starting a large assignment. She said that without that break, sleep may be all you’re thinking of, which prevents work from getting done.

Stay Hydrated

IMG_6789-1024x683
There are multiple places on campus to fill up a water bottle. MacKenzie Wetherill/ Staff Photographer

Roba Hassan, a sophomore special education major, said she feels that drinking water throughout the day helps keep her focused throughout the day. Hassan added that although it is small thing, it’s important easy movement that requires one to be aware. There are some who state they don’t like water because of taste, and to that point, Hassan suggested adding different fruits to infuse the water to give it a cool taste and provide nutrients. “I hate taking cough medicine but I still take it because I know it’ll help me. It’s the same with water,” she said. Hassan recommended getting a reusable water bottle that has time intervals on it. “It helps you keep track and it also helps you feel accomplished, which increases productivity in and of itself,” Hassan said.

Drink Black Tea

IMG_6809-1024x683
Amatullah Shaw recommends drinking black tea. MacKenzie Wetherill/ Staff Photographer

While coffee is the most obvious tactic to combat burnout, Amatullah Shaw, a graduate diplomacy student, recommended drinking black tea. With Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks drinks made on campus as well as coffee shops in the South Orange Village, students are most frequently seen with coffee as they walk into their morning classes. Shaw said she advises students to decrease the dependency of coffee and enjoy the health benefits of black tea, specifically recommending Bigelow’s Earl Gray.

Elise Kerim can be reached at elise.kerim@student.shu.edu.