Take care of your mental health first

It’s nearing midterm time, Pirates. You know what that means! All-nighters, countless deadlines, and sometimes a feeling like you’re not good enough.

We at The Setonian know personally that the pressure to be the best and constantly striving to do better can takes its toll. With a shaky job market waiting to greet us after graduation and tens of thousands in student loans, the pressure to craft the perfect resume is heavier now more than ever.

vsakdf-1024x529
Photo via Flickr/Scott 97006

According to Time, between 2009-2015, “the number of students visiting counseling centers increased by about 30 percent on average” and “in spring 2017, nearly 40 percent of college students said they had felt so depressed in the prior year that it was difficult for them to function, and 61% of students said they had 'felt overwhelming anxiety' in the same time period.”

It’s no secret that college students are stressed. Between schoolwork, extracurriculars, internships, finances and friends it’s no wonder that college students today are struggling with balancing their mental health and all of these factors. Sometimes it’s important to remember that school is not the end all and be all and taking care of yourself is essential to being happy.

We at The Setonian would like to urge our fellow students to take some time for yourself, whatever that may mean for you specifically. We’re not going to urge you to do a face mask and watch Netflix. We know that advice like that is condescending and doesn’t take into account the actual realities of struggling with one’s mental health. How you deal with what you’re feeling is up to you; just know that there is absolutely nothing wrong with going to talk to someone. Whether that be a professional, or a friend, or a professor, or a mentor, or a parent, talking about your feelings and what you’re struggling with is key to living a happier life.

There’s still a stigma around talking about these things, even if it is diminishing. You never have to apologize for how you feel or how you react to things that are happening to you. Life can get really lonely if you ignore yourself.

The Voice is intended to best represent the collective opinion of The Editorial Board. It is written by The Setonian’s Editor-in-Chief.