Buckeyes complete sweep over Pirates in opening series

The Seton Hall baseball team was swept by Ohio State in the Pirates’ opening series of the season with a 5-3 loss on Sunday afternoon in Port Charlotte, Fla.

The Buckeyes’ jumped on Seton Hall’s starter, Tyler Burnham, early on as he surrendered three runs in one-third of the first inning. Kobie Foppe scored on a double to left-center by Connor Pohl which advanced Dominic Canzone to third. Canzone would eventually score on a one-out single to center by Zach Dezenzo and Pohl scored the third run of the inning on a sacrifice fly.

Brennan O’Neill entered the game following Burnham and also struggled with location and gave up a two-run homerun to Canzone in the bottom of the second.

431A3959-1024x576

Seton Hall tried to overcome the five-run deficit but could not find a way to maintain consistent offense. Preseason All-Big East selection Casey Dana’s two-out double to left field in the top of the fourth was the first run for the Pirates on the game.

Connor Hood knocked in a run in the following frame, and Sebastiano Santorelli had an RBI single in the eighth, but it was not nearly enough to overcome the Buckeyes’ early efforts.

The Pirates’ next play in a three-game series against Dayton starting on Friday, Feb. 22 at 1 p.m. in Cary, N.C.

Andrea Keppler can be reached at andrea.keppler@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @keppler_andrea.